Google Checkout Integration without an SSL Cert?

Guest acjc

One of the big selling points of CC4 is out-of-the-box integration with Google Checkout, yet the advertising fails to mention that it only works if you have an SSL cert (unless I missed the fine print somewhere?).

I thought maybe a third-party solution would have been developed that would work for me, but the two CC-GC mods at http://www.robix.nl/cubecart-4-x-mods/gateway/cat_6.html look like they both require SSL too.

I know the point of SSL is to protect customer data when transmitting from my site to Google, but then why is it that I can currently use GB Buy Now buttons and Paypal checkout without SSL on my site- wouldn't the same security issues apply?

Anyway, is it at all possible to offer Google Checkout as a payment option in my shopping cart without SSL? If so, does anyone know where to get such a mod? Or if I have to pay a programmer to do it, how much should I plan to have to spend?

Thanks much.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the big selling points of CC4 is out-of-the-box integration with Google Checkout, yet the advertising fails to mention that it only works if you have an SSL cert (unless I missed the fine print somewhere?).

I thought maybe a third-party solution would have been developed that would work for me, but the two CC-GC mods at http://www.robix.nl/cubecart-4-x-mods/gateway/cat_6.html look like they both require SSL too.

I know the point of SSL is to protect customer data when transmitting from my site to Google, but then why is it that I can currently use GB Buy Now buttons and Paypal checkout without SSL on my site- wouldn't the same security issues apply?

Anyway, is it at all possible to offer Google Checkout as a payment option in my shopping cart without SSL? If so, does anyone know where to get such a mod? Or if I have to pay a programmer to do it, how much should I plan to have to spend?

Thanks much.

One of the pre-requisites from Google is that you have SSL enabled to use their Checkout - otherwise you can't, So I'm guessing whichever cart software you use you will still require a SSL.

Guest hennaboy

Yes thats correct. CC4 will work with googlecheckout without any other modification required.

Which is what it says it does.

Google is the one insisting you have a ssl certificate. Im guessing here but if you modify it to bypass the SSL then wouldnt you would be breaking the terms and conditions with google. Any fraud attempts that went through and you would not be covered in any way. Also I bet they would terminate your account if they discovered you masking SSL. They obviously put that condition in there for a reason!

If you need to use Google Checkout then get a SSL certificate. The basic certs dont cost much.