Different category page layouts

Guest commotion

Guest commotion

Hi

THis is first post, I tried to find if it had been posted before, but had no luck

As far as I can see CC4 (latest version) had no support for styling the category layouts differently to each other. For example, I want different options on each different category page. For modern shops this is important where there is a need to engage with the user looking at a specific category, within shirts I may have a shirt feature and ideally want to show latest shirts only, whilst in accessories I simply want to list products.

I realise there is nothing in the system to allow you to display say, only the sale items for category 1 on the category 1 page but if there was a way to control the styling at least by category that would be part of the solution. Maybe by applying a id to the body tag and using CSS to show/hide layers based on the category id would be a solution.

Would you Cubecart experts take a few moments please and let me know what options, if any, there are for dealing with different category layouts depending which category one is viewing

Many thanks

Guest MasterSites

Hi

THis is first post, I tried to find if it had been posted before, but had no luck

As far as I can see CC4 (latest version) had no support for styling the category layouts differently to each other. For example, I want different options on each different category page. For modern shops this is important where there is a need to engage with the user looking at a specific category, within shirts I may have a shirt feature and ideally want to show latest shirts only, whilst in accessories I simply want to list products.

I realise there is nothing in the system to allow you to display say, only the sale items for category 1 on the category 1 page but if there was a way to control the styling at least by category that would be part of the solution. Maybe by applying a id to the body tag and using CSS to show/hide layers based on the category id would be a solution.

Would you Cubecart experts take a few moments please and let me know what options, if any, there are for dealing with different category layouts depending which category one is viewing

Many thanks

Hi

Let me point you to a post that is similar to yours - I did reply with a detailed explanation it may not be the full answer you are looking for but may help you if someone else replys to the post with a solution the post can be viewed at:

http://forums.cubecart.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry166234

Thanks

Rob

Guest commotion

Hi Rob,

I did see that post in fact, however response focussed on layered navigation needs rather than changing design (template layout)depending what category your own so I did not feel it provided any answers to my question

BTW: That type of navigation where user can narrow by price range, color etc is possible within Magento Commerce and something that I hope we will see in Cubecart in future. It's sorta related where eCommerce developers need to focus on what the user wants, the experience etc and this type of naivigation is ideal where someone wants to quickly narroe options such as a) A dress b)Colour Blue c) Price between £100 - £150 etc

Guest MasterSites

Hi Rob,

I did see that post in fact, however response focussed on layered navigation needs rather than changing design (template layout)depending what category your own so I did not feel it provided any answers to my question

BTW: That type of navigation where user can narrow by price range, color etc is possible within Magento Commerce and something that I hope we will see in Cubecart in future. It's sorta related where eCommerce developers need to focus on what the user wants, the experience etc and this type of naivigation is ideal where someone wants to quickly narroe options such as a) A dress b)Colour Blue c) Price between £100 - £150 etc

Hi commotion

I may be able to assist with what you are trying to achieve but need you to be abit clearer on what you require. Are you saying that you want the actual template to change depending on the category you visit? and if so did you want the actual layout of the page to change or quite simply just the colours so for instance if you are in Shoes the website colours will be blue - then if you click dresses the website colour will be green and so on?

Thanks

Rob

Guest commotion

Hi Rob

Sorry for late reply

basically at this stage I just need to have different layouts depending on the category I am in - using CSS is enough at this stage to control this.

So I think if I create a #wrapper id or body id using the category name, I can then use CSS to achieve what I want right now by targetting the category ID.

In time, it would make sense to be able to set snippets such as latest products or most popular products to be category specific and then display the latest products from category one in category one only etc

I am going to mess around some more and see what I can achieve and will come back with more details when I reach that point

Thanks for yor respnse

• 2 years later...