Australian Shipping

Guest Cloudstrike

Guest Cloudstrike

Not having much luck with configuring the Australia Post plugin to work properly. My store primarily sells computer gear ranging from light mice/keyboards to bulky heavy computer cases. What is the best shipping method with Cubecart?

I am posting from Queensland!

• 1 month later...

Not having much luck with configuring the Australia Post plugin to work properly. My store primarily sells computer gear ranging from light mice/keyboards to bulky heavy computer cases. What is the best shipping method with Cubecart?

Hi,

I'm in Australia as well, have you worked it out yet?

Cheers Angus

• 2 months later...

Probably a bit late, but the AP shipping module uses a program on the AP website that takes the weight and dimensions, source and destination postcode, and generates a quote for standard parcel and express parcel post.

It does not understand large letters (up to 20mm thick and 500g, and cheap) satchels (up to 3kg/5kg, $9.90/$18.50 anywhere in the country, but not always the best value because parcel post depends on distance and remoteness) and other useful products sold by AP. You would have to code these in yourself.

AP uses a concoction called Cubic Weight, which sets a minimum of 250kg per cubic metre. Therefore, if you want to post a box of foam shipping beads, the actual weight is ignored, and a notional weight is computed by multiplying the actual volume in cubic metres by 250. For an idea of what this means, a quarter-full litre carton will weigh about 250 grams and is right on the border between cubic and actual weight. Take a sip from it, and it goes cubic.

So, you have some choices:

* Use the AP calculator as is, sent the dimensions small so it uses weight, and hope it averages out for you (downside, customers will buy some stuff elsewhere because their inc-freight price is cheaper.)

* Closely analyze your products and develop a set of rules that you can code around the calculator. For example, I have adjusted it to get a quote for parcel post, then I compare it to a 3 or 5kg satchel, and choose the cheapest (parcel post is cheaper when the weight is low and the destination is near. The baggie looks better as you close in on 3kg and send to more exotic locations, like Darwin, which is one of the most expensive places to send to from Sydney.) However, I know 3kg of my stuff will always fit in a baggie. I know that x items of a certain product category will fit in a C4 envelope and qualify for large letter post at $1.10, provided that is all that is in the order.

* Use the category-based shipping module. You can create some hidden categories (set the Hide flag in the categories table using PHPMYADMIN) that don't display in the category tree for the customers, but tell it which postage class it is in. This does not handle aggregation of products into a single shipment, so it is only useful in certain classes of store.

I have to say that everything looked pretty simple with this online store caper until I started thinking about shipping. Well that, and trying to get decent product photos...