Disable "Tell A Friend"

Guest JG Troy

Guest JG Troy

Our store experienced this problem and had our account suspended by our ISP due to SPAM complaints...

We have had a number of tickets from merchants that have had their store exploited as a spam relay. This means that certain areas of their website have been used to send out spam emails such as the products "Tell a Friend" tool. In order to protect your store we would recommend that "Spambot Flood Control" is set to either "Yes" to enable the native image verification tool or to "reCaptcha" which is more accessible to those with disabilities. This can be done from the "General Settings" section of your store admin control panel.

My question is simple, is there a way to disable the "Tell A Friend" feature?

We really don't care for the "Tell A Friend" or "Write review / comment" features and would be happy to turn them off.

• 4 months later...

Guest boroutdoors

I would really like to turn off tell a friend, and Reviews too. I get more spam than good. Can someone please let me know how to do this! Thanks!

Guest cubeinfo

Enable the Flood Control system in General Settings.

The above answer will help prevent the spamming feature.

I found the answer you and many of us are looking for here:

You just need to remove it from your viewProd.tpl, Just make it invisible as apposed to getting rid of it.

<ul>

<li class="bulletLrg"><a href="index.php?act=taf&amp;productId={PRODUCT_ID}" target="_self" class="txtDefault">{LANG_TELLFRIEND}</a></li>

</ul>

• 5 months later...

Doing this may still leave you with a problem.

We appear to have had the same issue again with spam and the entry in prod view was removed some time back.

Initially we did rename the tell a friend file but as the site has been updated its back with the original name.

If you dont rename the file, spammers can still exploit it.

Hope that helps,

G

If you don't want to enable spam control, the only solution to completely remove tell-a-friend (and cover for upgrades) is to remove elements from the tell-a-friend template. Of couse, leaving a comment in the tell-a-friend PHP file stating the code has been removed on purpose will cover the upgrade issue if you remove code from it.