Tell my Why I should switch to Cube

Right now I'm a zen cart user and I was very happy to find it because I was originally an OsC user and for all that have been there know, it's horrible. Zen cart fixes most of it's problems, but one has gone untended for too long. That is the problem of recourses. Zen/OsC consumed a ton of them. It's not common to find a user that gets 800+ database queries per page load. If you search, you can many users complaining of slow parse times and large query counts. They have a few things they tell everyone to do to tweak the performance of the cart, and they don't help. The latest release consideres it a feature where they've added a boat load of database indexes. Woohoo, they finally got someone onboard that knows a little bit about how to get more out of a DB.

I've complained several times and I get the same responses. If I don't like it, don't use it. I guess they don't know how or don't care to fix these problems. I've been told to move to a dedicated server. A cart with less than ten items and maybe 100 users a day does not need a dedicated server. So with being fed up with the zencart team's attitudes about performace, I'm looking else where. I'm looking to put down money. Whatever it takes. I've seen your product in the past, but the new v3 looks promising. So what can you tell me that will sell me on this.

How easy/hard is it to upgrade. I hope you don't expect your users to use winmerge to compare EVERY file in the new package with what you have to make sure changes are propgated correctly.

Of course, how many recourses does it use? For example page load times and DB query counts. Looking at all of your demo sites, I'm pretty confident the numbers are far better. It would take a self-taught script kiddy to think it's okay to use more than 50 queries per page let alone 1000 in many user's cases. Really on my work, I never have more than 10 with an average of five per page.

And from the users, I want to hear what the BAD things are with cube cart that you've found. Anyone can come on here and say it's great, I want to know the truth. If you think it's great, tell me why?

Sorry for the long rant, I want some piece of mind and I need some user input to help me make this decision.

Guest xtremexcorp

Cubecart is very flexible and can run on any system with the most minimum specifications, it just requires PHP and MySQL. Then bam! You're up and running. Its a great product and version 3 which should be available shortly is even better!

I would recommend a demo of both version 2 and 3 just click the link in my signiture to test it out and see for yourself!

Welcome to CubeCart!

Guest xtremexcorp

By the way the specs of the server it is currently being run on

Windows Small Business Server 2003

Intel Celeron D 320 2.4 GHz

1.5 GB DDR

120 GB Hard Drive

Guest twisted

Upgrades have never been more than a copy this and paste it here or change this or add that. Winmerge has NEVER been required. Upgrades are always very easy and well documented.

However, that said, it will not be that simple to upgrade from 2 to 3 as v.3 is basically a whole new script. You would be "switching" as opposed to "upgrading"

Brooky has said that there will be an automated upgrade install script to go from 2 to 3, but I do not know how this will work.

I do not have a lot of experience with v.3, but I do know that it addresses a lot of issues concerning a lack of functionality wioth v.2.

Yes, version 2 is lacking in some features, but unlike the 2 burdens you mention, Cube is very easy to edit/manage/customize/personalize.

V.3 is meant to plug a lot of the gaps left by v.2...but no cart can be a be-all-and-end-all to everyone...someone always wants some feature that the cart doesn;t have.

However, fortunately for some people, that extra functoinality can usually be readily added by some very capable modders in this forum. Sometimes even for free... :)

Anyone can come in here and say..."Oh I love Cubecart...its, blah blah blah" or "Cubes good...BUT...it doesn't blah blah", or even, god forbid..."Cubecart sucks"

But the only way to find out if it does what you want, and is really what you're looking for, is to download the software, install it, and take it for a test drive. There really is nothing like hands-on experience to find out if a cart meets your needs.

V.3 stable release is scheduled for release tomorrow [July 1]...so look out for it, download it, give it a go.

Then YOU can make your mind up whether cube is for you or not.

One thing of note between OSc and CubeCart is the number of files in each... Just doing a quick check, I count 984 files for OSc, and 162 for CubeCart 2.0.7

For 85% less filling, you are getting one heck of a cart.

There are some odd things in CC version 2 though, such as how shipping works. That and the in-stock feature was never completed so requires a mod to work.

Like Twisted said though, download a copy and give it a shot. See if it does what you need it to do. It's free to use, as long as the copyright remains in place.

I started on osc and switched to cubecart because of the forums and support you get in here.

Cubecart 3 does look very promising my only concern to using that is where its all new there are not too many mods out yet as we havent learnt completly how it works together yet, this being said it does come with a whole bunch of mods that were created for ver 2.

Cubecart 2 has mods coming out of the rafters avaialble for it to make it do more or less anything you could want, and if its not there tell us ur desires and we will try our best to create and like booker said sometimes for free.

It does have some things that are annoying like it doesnt have search engine friendly urls yet!( i have tried to put in mod rewrite but failed :) ~) not giving up tho.

All said and done download 2 and 3 and try them out

check out the download section and third party sites to see wots available

and give it a whirl. :P

Welcome to Cubecart - Once u been cubed you never go back!

From my point, which is someone who began building a store with OSC. Cubecart is seconded to none.

I found any minor problems I did have where either covered already in the forum or answered quickly with the correct answer. In fact I only had 3 minor problems, Image quality with some thumbnails, locked out of the admin panel and how to move my site from the upload folder.

The first two had mods to fix, which were easy to do and the third I put a post up.

I found with OSC if I wanted to change something I end up with a host of other things that went wrong. Things went from bad to worse....Then I found Cubecart.

From my experience Cubecart is a different world...even down to the format of the store front which is much more attractive to visitors even if it isn't reskinned. You can't say that about OSC.

I have now almost finished my store and it has been a pleasure to build it rather than a chore.

The first question I asked myself when I was deciding which cart to use was "If this is so good why are there so many problems people were having. Why doesn't this work perfectly right out of the box?" But then I started looking at all the rest of the carts out there including the paid ones and none were as configurable as CC. I wanted something HTML because that is what I knew more about and then realized that the code for a cart like CC in HTML would be enormous and totally unmanageable. I didn't want to have to tweak this and that but I have learned more about PHP and SQL than I would have thought possible just by running this cart. As so many have said, the support here is knowledgeable and friendly, unlike others I have been involved with. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. But it can be integrated with an HTML site and the development goes on and on.

Cubecart is very flexible and can run on any system with the most minimum specifications

Upgrades have never been more than a copy this and paste it here or change this or add that

Cube is very easy to edit/manage/customize/personalize

I started on osc and switched to cubecart because of the forums and support you get in here

Cubecart 2 has mods coming out of the rafters

Cubecart is seconded to none.

it has been a pleasure to build it rather than a chore

Here, Here!

I agree with you all. It has it's faults and it has it's fixes.

I'm a typical blonde and I can work the php and upgrade so it must be fairly easy! And it is enjoyable and after the first few bug fixes you only have to upgrde as you need to & what you need to.

And the suport from cubecart users is phenominal! They are the best. :blink:

Ps. Hi all, I'm back! (Not that you noticed me gone! :D )

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went ahead and downloaded version 3 and have been playing with it. I have to say it's leaps ahead of zen. Installation was super simple and when I reached the admin page I was truely delighted. It has a clean interface and everything that you need is there and logically layed out. Zen's admin interface is extremely confusing and hard to use. Especially for tasks such as creating options for a product.

I've got cube setup with a few products. I must say the editor is really nice. I didn't have to edit any define statements in the source code to change the text on the hopepage or any page for that matter. I also love how fast it is. The pages load just as fast as the rest of my site. I know php/html and I don't mind getting in there, but some tasks should not need code altered to customize it. I don't like doing that and I wouldn't expect someone who knows graphics for example to get in there.

Overall I'm pleased at this point and reading through the forum. I appreciate all the feedback the developers leave their users. They seem like humble down to earth people that make mistakes like the rest of us.

Regards!

HI!

I am also delighted with cubecart after having tried oscommerce (now it has become creloaded) and zencart (same company, different teams) I also tried X-cart ( a paid nice little cart but with a support team in Russia, no, thanks)

Cubecart is flexible, easy to use and on top of it, it has the best support forum I have ever seen. I'm delighted at how nice and friendly is everyone here.

Love you guys :D

Guest vrakas

This is my personal opinion and no offence to any.

I am allready trying x-cart on one of my domains and there is a lot of effort put in to it and its possibly the most proffesional of all i have tryed (OScommerce, etc) BUT yes there is big but there that it took me 3 days just to change the welcome message and did NOT succeed.

Support i dont even know what that is and i tryed to get some BUT money gets you the answers (i think).

Here i got most of my questions answered in detail and the responsibility towards a client if this is going to work or not is on my shoulders only.

Here i can use it FREE and when my client says ok i will purchase it for him.

This is the major reason i am asking so many questions as these are requests from my clients. :lol:

Some clients want to use this as a content management without the cart option wich is a great idea and it can be done.

A big congratulations to the CC team and another big thanksto all that answered my questions. ;)