Skinning Guide needed

I wish someone here who would create a skinning guide that identifies, in illustration, which CSS element in the skin are controlled by which code. Those of you familiar with Invision Power board (the software that supports this CC forum) will know what I mean.

For example - see the IPB SG:

http://customer.invisionpower.com/downloads/css_v2/

Whoever does this for CC3 would be the hero of the rest of us.

Right now I must laboriously edit likely code and then reload to see if that's what I really wanted - and for some weird reason, those changes don't seem to take place right away (probably need to clear my cache - yet another hassle.)

It would be so much easier if I knew beforehand for sure that I'm editing the appropriate element .

Now I must go post a few questions that the above would make un-necessary . . . .

Guest perfectpage

I see what you mean, but it isnt really that difficult to work out which part is which. And then there are each of the .tpl files linking to them.

I see what you mean, but it isnt really that difficult to work out which part is which. And then there are each of the .tpl files linking to them.

I understand that you do not think that CC's skin CCS files are difficult to figure out but let me put this in perspective . . . English is my native language.

I live in a community that is roughly 1/3rd Hispanic so I hear it around me all the time. I once lived for 3 and a half years in a Caribbean island and spoke it every day, all day long. Therefore, it comes somewhat easily to me. I can think in Spanish and say something in Spanish without having to first translate it from English.

But I learned my German 55 years ago in high school. I've been able to use it only as a soldier sattioned in Germany in the early 50s and again for a few years as a businesman in Eastern Europe in the early 70s. But lacking daily practice, I first have to think through what I want to say in German, rummage around in my brain for half-forgotten vocabulary and then translate it from English before I can say it.

So it is with CC and it's CSS and its templates.

It's easy for you because you are focused on it, perhaps every day - but not for me - and not for most newcomers. A CSS and TPL guide such as the one available for IPB would be a huge boost in making CC more accessible and boost its popularity.

For another of what is possible in a skinning guide (and I think this one is a superb use of Flash) see:

http://docs.invisionpower.com/css/board_in...oard_index.html

But I'd settle for a CC Skinning Guide like the IPB version mentioned in my first message.

Anyone, please?

• 2 years later...
Guest lordbarron

A while back I looked into doing something like this, but probably recording it as a video tutorial. But when it came to the crunch, I just didnt know where to start. The whole structure, how much depth to go into, trying to gloss over areas i was unsure about myself.

So i soon retired from the idea of putting together my own skinning guide. However when I first aired my idea I was put in the direction of cubecart.org as a developers guide was been pieced together there by various users who had contributed. I would suggest you visit the site and search for the documentation available there.

Good luck, and I agree in many of the skins the sheer amount of css can become a huge mess and editing it becomes a nightmare.

I use firefox and the web developer plug-in which allows me to identify the css just by rolling over it on the site, I can even quickly edit it live and see if it works, if its successful i then change the actual css file and upload. Its like using a pencil and having the ability to rub out your mistakes before you commit any live changes.

Hope this all helps.