Backing-up database

Guest strawberryfusion

Guest strawberryfusion

Hi

Just wanted to know if you backed-up the MySQL database using either phpMyAdmin or another application. How easy is it to restore the database using that back-up or restore it to a new blank database?

Any tips, feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

rajiv

Guest strawberryfusion

Thanks Convict,

Once exported backing up would/should be straight forward or do I need to watch out for anything?

rajiv

Guest fiddy

top-tip: (not specific to the CC tables, but a good idea anyway) try restoring it to a new db as soon as you make the backup. There could be things that although they don't stop the db working day-to-day, are a problem when you try to restore it. multiple indexes with same name, column names with reserved words, etc

also, if you have the option, always use a command line to restore a db. infinitely quicker than phpmyadmin

>> mysql -u user -p todb < dbexport.sql

Once exported backing up would/should be straight forward or do I need to watch out for anything?

Always think twice before you are attempting to restore - which version of MySQL was backup made, default charset of the target DB...table names prefix (if any)...charset of SQL file and default charset in phpMyadmin.

in the nature of fiddys 'talk': try restoring it to a new db as soon as possible...but remember reflections above

Guest strawberryfusion

Thank you Convict and Fiddy

I will try out a test back-up and restore some time soon to see how I manage. Once again many thanks for your advice.

rajiv

Guest falsoft

I have spent almost 100 hours over the last four days trying to do something similar, backing up Mysql and loading it into a database on a diferent server - every "simple" instruction that I have tried to follow has only got me further into a frustarting mess.

I am now happily starting with a fresh CC install and modifying the site by copying the original via ftp, what I thought was going to take me ages will not take nearly as long as messing around with the Mysql files.

Just thought I would add this comment as a warning for the uninitiated and in case everybody thinks it is easy to backup/restore/transfer these files - it may be to some people but obviously not to old duffers like me :on2long:

Chris

Guest vrakas

Hi there,

a long time ago i requested also if someone could explain the backup and restore procedure for CC3.

i am still requesting if anybody could be so kind to give me/us the details on how to do this. :on2long:

I have spent almost 100 hours over the last four days trying to do something similar, backing up Mysql and loading it into a database on a diferent server - every "simple" instruction that I have tried to follow has only got me further into a frustarting mess.
Its easy, but you have to know WHAT TO DO and HOW TO DO - practice only

I am now happily starting with a fresh CC install and modifying the site by copying the original via ftp, what I thought was going to take me ages will not take nearly as long as messing around with the Mysql files.
I have made this:

1. Prepare new MySQL databse

2. FULL BACKUP of CC3 database (about 100kB SQL file) and loading it into new DB

3. Copy of all necessary files from 'old' to a 'new' location

4. Write right paths and DB paramaters - global.inc.php

5. Because of right SSL switching, deactivate ssl switch [sslSwith.inc.php], log in as admin (new location), write right SSL paths, activate ssl swith

job time: 5 minutes

Both of DB, front/backend are up and fully operational (SSL switch too) ;)

PS: it was made on the same server

PS2: maybe 'your details' how to do vrakas

never mind a bit here and a bit there it should be completed at some point  ;)
I am NOT a cook therefore I dont write any cookbook :)

Personaly, all about backup is drill, drill, drill, drill...even though NO safety :errm:

Guest vrakas

I am NOT a cook therefore I dont write any cookbook :)

I know that :) and also that you are not a lawyer but ... just a technician. :errm: (This i read in another post of yours)

You have given me some solution before for something else i needed so thanks for that ;)

As i wrote i am gathering pieces from varius posts until i get the whole procedure eventualy :)

Thanks again :^^: