Thumbnails created are ZERO bytes!

Guest frank

I have just upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2.

When I go into Admin > Image Manager I see this line repeated for every image uploaded:

Warning: getimagesize: Read error! in /www/public_html/admin/filemanager/index.php on line 151

And when I go into Admin > View Products where the thumbnail should be I see this:

Warning: getimagesize: Read error! in /www/public_html/admin/products/index.php on line 412

I thought the problem was with getimagesize and searched php.net for a solution, but nothing I tried made any difference.

Then, thinking this might be a permissions problem, I deleted the /images/uploads and /images/uploads/thumbs directories and re-created them and set the permissions to 777. Uploaded a bunch of new images and still no difference. But when I looked again at the /images/uploads/thumbs directory I noticed that all the files on there have ZERO bytes (see attached image)!

Now this is really weird. I don't know if this it tied to the upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2. that I did yesterday or it's just a coincidence. The upgrade did not go smoothly so I had to upload the install directory and reinstall from scratch. Anyway, images are being displayed OK, but when I upload an image it creates a zero byte thumbnail and everywhere a thumbnail is expected to be displayed, I get an error.

Can anybody help?