mass product upload

Guest ecollins

Guest ecollins

Ok, I plan on putting over 18,000 products in my store.

Last night I ran my first mass product up load.

I use Navicat to do this.

Here is my problem, even though I put each product in the correct category once I have imported that section of my DB, cubecart_inventory it does not append my products to the category I selected for it.

For example I set up Accessories with Cat ID 4, I uploaded 387 products to the database with cat id set to 4. It put the products in the store, but not under that category. I could search and find them but I could not see them listed under the category.

Anyone else have this problem? or know a fix for it. If there a query I need to run after I upload.

Guest ecollins

There is a Mod for uploading a csv file. It's not a freebie. You can find it in the downloads section. Problem may be it's not for 3.0 but it might work.

I have a way of uploading csv files now.

I need to know why, they do not catch to the categories they are set to once they are in the DB.

If you look at product Test2 on my site you will see if you open the product it is attached to a category.

But if you go in that category you will notice it is not there.

Does anyone in these Support Forums know how this cart works?

I do not think I should have to buy a mod to make the program work correctly.

I do a appreciate the offer though.

• 11 months later...
Guest kistler

Very interested in a mass upload.

I have done this with StoreFront in the past but am trying something less expensive. :(

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Starting up a new store and it took about 2 hours to add 39 items.

I only have 2,000 more to go. :)

Craig Kistler

[email protected]

Guest Rikk03

Very interested in a mass upload.

I have done this with StoreFront in the past but am trying something less expensive. :(

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Starting up a new store and it took about 2 hours to add 39 items.

I only have 2,000 more to go. :)

Craig Kistler

[email protected]

Ive done this kinda thing with a few 1000 items - cubecart may have updated, but the how to do it knowledge doesnt change.

What I did to start with was to setup maybe 30 products ..... 10 products in 3 categories, then after doing this generate a SQL file from phpmyadmin, this tells you how the database deals with the products / categories and gives you the SQL injection code. Then, assuming that you have a list of the products somewhere in an excel file or the like, you can add the SQL injection code at the right place - sorry Im getting ahead of myself - firstly you need to format your data to match the order listed in your SQL file - getting all the quotation marks and semi colons etc in the right place (this is a real pain) - make use of the find and replace and REPLACE ALL tool in excel - very helpful here; after this you can look at adding the SQL injection code, create new column A and add the injection bit. When you finish you then need to export it as CSV file, delimited (could be wrong there - its been a while since i did it) (or if you have openoffice you can actually export a spreadsheet file as SQL!!!).

Open the file in text editor and look at it - see that the file has saved correctly with the , and ; are as they should be! Next just rename the file .sql OR just select ALL copy and paste for sql injection ....... not with too many products though - say 500 at a time or your server will die.

I expect that most of you wont have the image file names listed in a spreadsheet - soz if thats the case then you will have to add them manually.

Of course this is all fairly time consuming - but the point is to THINK ahead while you are doing this. Order in your mind / on paper the steps - once you have done it - far simplier in the future - ESPECIALLY if you creat e macros to do all the donkey work (talking about if you regularily get a item list from one program formatted one way and need to alter it / rearrange it for SQL injection.

I did this with NO help and very little knowledge of excel and trust me - if you have 1000s of products to add, this will save you 80% of the time it would have taken otherwise.

WRITE DOWN THE PROCEEDURE FOR NEXT TIME

In response to ecollins - since you seem to already have many items in some format on pc - compare manually added stock say 10 items into each category SQL files to your NAVICAT added product - SQL file generation - what are the differences?

Wow Rikk03. I'm a pretty skilled coder, and what you're telling him to do is FAR tougher than what 90% of people I see around here would ever attempt. Also, you've not told them anything about the cats_idx table which is indeed required or things WON'T work. I'm not against what you're intending, but there are better instructions already out there that aren't as complex.

Plus, there exists a free mod (though not quick and easy to use) and a paid mod (more complete interface and docs and simple to use) that supports mass imports via CSV/text file.

Don't take this wrong, but perhaps you need to research the exact task a bit more before you make recommendations. Your input is appreciated, but in this case, I think there are much better options.

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Mod for uploading a csv file. It's not a freebie. You can find it in the downloads section. Problem may be it's not for 3.0 but it might work.

im still looking for this mass upload tool

i cant find ANY of them

is it over at the .ORG site or still here in downlaods? beause even with a search string of UPLOAD in the downlaods search i dont find it

ALL third party mods and add-ons are at the .org site -- there's a link in my sig.

What you're looking for is in the commercial mods section. Just look for CSV Import.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you who wrote it and has it for sale. :)

:(

Guest Big Lurch

I use Navicat, and for this I must also update cats_idx as well. This tells CubeCart which categories the items appear. This database also holds the records to allow an item to be listed in more than one category.

If you follow correct form, all you need to do is copy the entire column in your inventory that has the category ID, and paste it into the correct column in a CSV or XLS file exported from cats_idx.

Then, copy the item numbers and paste them in the correct cats_idx column.

Import both and you should be all set.

• 1 year later...
Guest jjbarrows

hey, sir;

please explain the better solution then, rather than just knocking what i thought was a pretty basic piece of hacing a ystem to make it do what you need. if there are better instructions - link to them. if there are mods link to them. if the cats_idx table is important, tell us why and how to make sure it works OK.

don't take me wrong, but maybe you need to provide some useful information.

Wow Rikk03. I'm a pretty skilled coder, and what you're telling him to do is FAR tougher than what 90% of people I see around here would ever attempt. Also, you've not told them anything about the cats_idx table which is indeed required or things WON'T work. I'm not against what you're intending, but there are better instructions already out there that aren't as complex.

Plus, there exists a free mod (though not quick and easy to use) and a paid mod (more complete interface and docs and simple to use) that supports mass imports via CSV/text file.

Don't take this wrong, but perhaps you need to research the exact task a bit more before you make recommendations. Your input is appreciated, but in this case, I think there are much better options.

:)