Show sub category products in main category

Is it possible that when some one click on a main category instead of a list of sub categories showing, it shows products from all of the sub categories?

So in the example below if you clicked "Main Cat" it would show a product list of sub cat1, sub cat2 and sub cat3.

Main Cat

- Sub Cat 1

- Sub Cat 2

- Sub Cat 3

Hope that makes sense?

Yeah, it could be done, but it kind of takes the point out of sub-categories doesn't it?

Not really no...

Say if I had a menu like this:

Cars

- Ford

- BMW

- Etc

Motorbikes

- Suzuki

- Kawasaki

- Etc

If I clicked on "Cars" or "Motorbikes" it would show all results from the sub cats.

To say that there is nothing in the category "cars", but there is in say ford seems a little weird to me. Ford is a child of the main cars category.

Cheers

Steve

Btw, I will be having the sub cats as part of the main sidebar nav, hence the reason I am asking this.

Guest hobbyofkings

Didn't get an answer for that one either but figured it out.

Its a hassle but you use the Manage Catagories link on the View Products page in Admin. You can then add the product to the parent catagories manually.

Would seem a simple enough thing to have an automatic one though. So selecting a subcatagory automatically adds a product to any parent catagories.

Hope this helps...

In a circumstance you're talking about, I can certainly see a desire to show the sub cat's items.

I would probably modify it to show all sub-cat items if there are no items in the current cat.

Do I smell another mod coming on?? :D

• 8 months later...
Guest maddocta

In a circumstance you're talking about, I can certainly see a desire to show the sub cat's items.

I would probably modify it to show all sub-cat items if there are no items in the current cat.

Do I smell another mod coming on?? :(

hey Sir William was the mod even done....im searchin through cubecart.org but im not seeing one that fits the description

I wrote a routine to populate all father cats when you add a product, but have never released it as a mod. I've never had anybody ask for it. I did include the logic in my CSV Import Module though.

:(