Hide a Catagory? Or product?

Is there anyway to hide a catagory or a product temporarily? I have products that I have in-stock and out of stock often, I'd rather just hide the product or catagory rather than either having it on my site where people won't know there is 0 stock until they look at the actual product page, or worse yet, have to delete the product and then add the product again when I got more in stock. Has anyone had this same problem? How did you solve it?

Any suggestions would help!!

Jen

It would not be a big deal to add to my category sort order mod. Perhaps that may be version 1.5? A way to make categories not-display. Your store would still show the total count of products and categories, but not all would be accessible. If nobody else has any easy ideas, I'll tackle it this weekend.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

I have completed this modification for CC3 (for hiding the categories on the list) however as it was a 'fix' for an Archive category on one of our clients websites, I haven't packaged it up as a modification.

I will try and get this posted (with an admin control) by 01.00 BST (about 6hrs from now).

It will purely disable the showing of a category in the categories 'box' (in boxes/categories.tpl). If there is anywhere anyone elses wants categories removing from, stick it on this thread and I will add it. :angry:

Back on in a bit.......

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

This has now been added to official Downloads section. Please see here for download:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index.php?download=188

Thanks.

Hello All,

Here is the ZIP file for this modification.

It is a very quick 'n' dirty script to be able to hide categories from the categories box list. I have done this to hide parent categories only, so if you need to hide a sub-cat, create a top cat, stick the sub-cat in there, and hide the parent category, OR, change the sub-cat to a parent cat and hide it.

Either way, this will allow you to hide parent categories.

Any questions, bug or features required, just ask here.

Kindest Regards,

William Renfrew

EverythingWeb.Net

<edit>Spelling!</edit>

<edit>Removed file, as its included in downloads section.</edit>

Guest tbladecki

There seems to be a problem when added and using sub cats, my teststore has an item in a sub cat under the "test cat" group however it does not show me the sub cat folder under the "test cat" group and the "hidden cat" is set to NO on both. Where is the problem at... I ahve tried to debug it but I am not getting anywhere.

It would be helpful if in the cat admin screen it showed rather or not the cat was being hidden or not. This is really only cosmitic but would be helpful for clients with lots of cats :)

Thank you for writting it.

Guest EverythingWeb

Please could you explain what you mean with the Admin Panel?

This was a very quick hack to hide TOP-level categories from the categories box.

There is the option in the Admin Panel, in the edit screen for each category which shows if its hidden of not. You cannot hide the category in your admin panel, or how else would you be able to edit it?

As I said, this od has no bearing whatsoever on sub-categories or individual products. If you want to PM me with more details, I can have a look when I get a minute.

NOTE: Due to finishing this mod using my laptop (and having a tendency to hate that style of keyboard) it seems I missed a closing bracket in the SQL command. It should be:

ALTER TABLE `_PREFIX_CubeCart_category` ADD `cat_active` ENUM('0',1') DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL;

I will get this updated in the packages soon, and get the file in the downloads section updatedaccordingly.

Guest tbladecki

Please could you explain what you mean with the Admin Panel?

This is the CC admin panel where you add the cats and sub cats.

This was a very quick hack to hide TOP-level categories from the categories box.

The mod works great for this however there is an issue with diplaying the sub cats, even when the top level is NOT hidden. Althought it would be nice to "hide" sub cats only and leave the Top level ones "unhidden" in the event, like me where you have a lot of sub cat and a few top level, but there is not products in all of the sub cats. (just a thought)

Whatever you can do to help... I understand, I am helping several people do things and it can be very time consumming.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello tbladecki,

The Admin panel has the form field to turn on/off the hidden flag. Click on edit on the category to change this (this is of course, if thats what you mean!)

Regards the other problem, if you could give a specific example (or URL and further details, PM if you rather) I can take a look and see if we can come up with something to address it.

Like with others mods I'm working on, the first version contains the very basics. I want to extend the functionality of this mod to be able to handle hidden top-cats, sub-cats, products etc, however as its just a contributon, it will be time dependant.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss this further.

Cheers,

William

Guest EverythingWeb

Note to All:

This modification has now been added to the official Downloads Section, and is available there for download.

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index.php?download=188

I have removed the file attachment to my earlier post on this thread, as it is available at the above location. For Bugs, please report in the above thread, and for feature requests please use this thread (for ease of tracking).

I will update the first post in the above thread when the new versions are released, to save confusion with different files.

Any questions, please feel free to ask. Specific site-related problems, PM is more personal and I'm happy to help out where I can.

Thanks.