skinning Legend search and login

jerseyjoe

I've replaced the default topHeader.jpg in Legend with one of my own. But that introduces another issue where I am lost and need help.

First, my purpose in modifying the default header dimensions - The Legend header default is 116 px high. I think it is a huge waste of the most valuable real estate on the page. Since the logo appears on every page, there is no need, in my mind, to have it so high.

After all, the user knows the name of the web site - and the theory behind a logo header is not to bang the user in the eyballs on every page, but to let modest repetition establish the connection in a more subtle way.

So I my new header is 60 pixels high. Works fine. Yes, I had to edit the layout.css to reduce the space to 60 px to avoid the graphic repeating itself vertically.

But as a result, now the search element and the registration / login element to the right have disappeared. They are below the header.

Can someone tell me where and what to edit so I can change that area so as to

1) move the location up so it is about 20px down from the top of the upper border of the background jpg,

2) make default dimension of that search / login area less than 60px high. That also would include putting the Regsiter / Login / Logout links on the same line, not split as they now are.

3) change the font colors of those items

4) change the color of the search field.

Much TIA . . .

Guest highertechpc

That's an easy fix. In layout.css you should have changed only the original px size to 60px. Then in the index.tpl file reduced the 72px to... say maybe 20px, more or less if you have to, and that will work fine. I tried it moments ago and it worked perfectly.

As for changing the font colors and search box, you can change that in style.css at the very top. You may have done something other than just reduce the px size to get the search box out of the area that it used to be in. Hope this helps. Look at an untouched Legend layout.css to compare the differences and try to get it the way it was. If not, if you haven't made many and/or significant changes it may be easier to start on a fresh layout sheet and just make those changes in addition to any other ones you may have already made rather than trying to fix it. You have a copy of the original file, I'm sure. If not, Brooky has posted some originals here somewhere. Hope this helps! highertechpc