Handling Product Size and Color

Guest Denver Dave

Guest Denver Dave

There seem to be several issues when product options are not really optional. An example would be shoes that have a size and a color - size and color could be thought of as options for a basic shoe and description, but there must be a size and a color.

The main product list has a buy button as well as a more button. The buy button, will almost never result in a buy that the customer wants - may default to size 1, pink shoes.

When tracking stock levels, we know how many shoes we have, but dont' seem to be able to track by the size or color if these are defined as options.

Ok - so let's say we define each shoe / size / color as a separate product. Makes for rather tedious lists and the admin product list screen can be sorted by product name, but it does not seem to default to this sort. Also, in the public product list screen, seems like it should default to sorting by product name, but it does not seem to.

What are others doing to hande situations where product characteristics such as size and color are important? Seems like this would be a common issue.

I have exactly the same problem, with shoes and apparel.

Right now, we are using a physical POS and the online store so we have to manually adjust stock based on the options that come through on the order.

Definately not the best way to handle inventory tracking.

I am investigation a modification that would actually change the product code added to the cart based on the options selected.

That seems to be the most feasible option.

So basically you have 1 master product code that displays on the site for each shoe, and several sub-products to denote size.

I will post here if I get it implemented

Guest Denver Dave

moxie - thank you for the reply.

I also am looking at Zen-cart, but I can't figure out if their approach helps the size and color issue or not. Seems like required options would be a common issue, I'm surprised that I have not seen more discussion on this.

In the case of a standard base product, like a certain style of shoe that has a standard description and maybe color swatches - options would seem to be easier for the customer.

What are you going to do with the Buy button on the product list? I'm thinking of changing the "More" to "Buy" or "Options" and getting rid of the original Buy which will almost certainly default to the wrong options.

I was surprised this hadn't come up before either. I made a post a month ago or so. :)

I would leave the standard buy button in place, or possibly hide it until an option is selected.

The basic function of the mod would change the text of the hidden product id field that is submitted on a click of the buy button.

I may have to create a custom table and some database calls, but I am hoping it goes ok.

I'll be sure to post if I get it going.

Guest Denver Dave

We're giving a shot at creating a lot more categories and then creating separate products for each size. We're really not doing shoes, were doing candles, so we have dozens of categories for type of fragrance and then separate products for the 2 or 3 sizes.

This allows inventory tracking, but sure points out weaknesses in various admin lists where the categories are not sorted.

If there is a cart where product attributes can be used to determine the product code and stock level, it sure would be worth looking at.

The use of lots of categories have lead us to the Category Description mod, which I think we now have working and it sure would be nice to have thumbnails for categories when they are presented in a group like the thumbs for products (anyone seen this?)

Thanks for the replies and please post back how you are doing - I'm not locked into our approach.

Dave, I too am doing a candle site (for my inlaws). The options for us will be the scent, not the type. There are only so many types of candles available, but 80+ scents.

They won't be doing inventory with the online store so it's not a big deal to me. They also have a retail store here and do phone orders, so they'll have a bigger order system than CC.