Empty Shopping Cart - Solution

Hi all,

I have been frantically trawling these forums trying to find a fix for the "empty cart" problem.

Not the one where you add a product to your cart but it doesn't appear in the little "shopping cart box" - that one just needs the Temporary Internet Files cleaned out (or quit and restart Firefox a few times) and that seems to fix it.

This is the one where you add products to your cart, and they are visible on the main page, in the "shopping cart box" but when you go to "View Cart" they're GONE. Well not quite, there are just blank items sitting in there, no name, no price, and sometimes there's just that strange infinity sign sitting there, mocking you (LOL).

The short answer seems to be - delete a tax at your peril - if you delete the tax code that was set up for the products then it seems to cause this.

You can fix it by manually adding all the affected products again. Excellent news for those stores with less than 20 products....

The other fix which I found (thank goodness) was to use PHPMyAdmin (or similar).

Browse your products (the inventory table) to see which tax code they have been assigned - it will just be a number. For this demo let's call it number 1.

Now browse your taxes table and you are likely to find that "tax number 1" has been deleted. When a new one is created in CubeCart it is given a different code in the database so the products which are assigned to tax code number 1 are now getting annoyed and are taking it out on your shopping cart.

Create a new tax (you can do this in CubeCart or PHPMyAdmin) with the percentage that you need.

Now go into PHPMyAdmin and change its code to the number that was missing.

Fingers crossed, you should have your shopping cart back.

I am posting this in the hope to help the next poor soul scrambling around these boards looking for the fix.

Cheers,

KK.

Thank you.. I was testing the taxes and removed them.. then I came across this problem.

In mysql, I changed my newly added tax ID to the ID's that were removed and it resolved the issue.

You're welcome - it's great to be able to save someone else the stress I just went through!

Can I also amend my first post in here, where I said you just need to empty your temporary internet files (for IE) or quit and restart Firefox to fix that OTHER empty cart problem.

If you are adding products to the cart and the shopping cart box on the main page claims the cart is still empty, it's a COOKIE problem - delete cookies and it is fixed.

Guest jeroenz19

Thanks!!!!

I've been emailing cubecart for this every day, just because they didn't reply ;) .

But now it work's again! Only I still don't get any tax, I want the products excl. tax on the site & the total tax in the shopping cart.

Has anyone any idea how to do that?

I don't know if this was fixed in 3.03 but it was still an issue in 3.02. If tax is not being added, it's because the switch for turning tax 'on' is backwards. In your admin cpl/General Settings scroll down to Include Tax in Prices. Set this to 'No' and tax will be activated. Like I said, the switch was backwards.

Guest igneramos

In my case, it seems as though the taxtype field in the db wasn't populated when the items were created. Manually editing each product (click edit, hit update button) is one way of fixing the problem.

The other way is to run the following query against the database:

update CubeCart_inventory C set taxtype = 1 where taxtype is null

Of course, this assumes that you want all the products to have tax type 1, and that you have a valid value for tax type 1. (Use whatever value is appropriate for your situation; look in CubeCart_taxes to see the corresponding taxtype values in your db, and change the query accordingly.)

Haven't checked to see if newly created items have the same problem.

Guest Denver Dave

Is this an issue only if taxes are being collected? If not, how do we duplicate the problem in 3.0.3 ? Also, anyone know of a good authorative source on when internet sales taxes should be collected?

Thanks.

Guest sunshine

CCv3.04 is out today

and you should upgrade. Brooky posted that he hopes to have 3.05with more fixes out within the week. Check downloads or the top of this forum.