Uh ohhhh...

Guest guckenfroovin

Guest guckenfroovin

-------------------- Edit:

:^^:

Ok, I think I see now... the API certificate handles the function of an SSL certificate... if I were still to be interested in forwarding to PayPal the "old" way, what should I do?

-------------------- Original Post:

Brooky,

I think you've got a great product here and at this point I think I can certainly live with the little fixes that need to be applied to the *stable* releases...

I am really concerned about this release 3.0.3, however. Unless I've missed something, the customer is now asked to provide his/her CREDIT CARD information via the PayPal gateway module. To do this SECURELY, I think this necessitates having an SSL certificate (not a shared one, due to the way PHP sessions work, but an exclusive SSL certificate)! And yet there is not much mention of how to (nor recommendation to) (neither in the admin panel nor in documentation) configure an SSL certificate.

I kinda liked CubeCart for the fact that I did NOT capture credit card information to the database, but instead customers entered it on PayPal's secure site.

Ouch! I shudder to think how many online shopkeepers will be out there insecurely capturing folks' credit card numbers! and I darned sure wouldn't submit mine if I thought it was going to be sent(/captured) as a plain text transmission!

Did I miss something? Is there no way to toggle *off* the option to collect credit card information? Or will I need to strip the credit card info fields out of the template/php & edit the paypal transfer php file to be more like vers 3.0.1 where no credit card info was input via CubeCart at all?

:) Guckie

Agree with your edit, but even though it is secure, it doesn't look secure to the customer because there's no https:// or padlock on their browser, unless you also have your shop behind a secure host.

In answer to your last question, how to go via PayPal site visibly,

Admin > gateways

turn off PayPal (Direct Payment)

turn off PayPal (Express checkout)

Turn on PayPal (Standard and IPN)

I'm mulling over the idea of having PayPal (Express checkout) -for fast paypal ACCOUNT payment- working along side PayPal (Standard & IPN) -for paypal credit card payment-. Anyone tell me it's a non-starter?

Guest sunshine

Paypal has the fairly new 'merchant' gateway that works like Authorize.net Verisign, etc.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you may have tried to initiate that option.

If you have a paypal 'Business Account' and located within the US (temporary) then you can utilize the 'Express Checkout' option. Cutomers do not need to register to pay by paypal express checkout.

Whereas now, the 'Standard' form is the regular checkout process.

The Express and Standard payment method is handled within paypal. To get the Business account, simply login to your paypal account.

I recommend the Express option. Though I believe the rates a slightly higher, they are the lowest I've seen.