PayPal Direct & Express Pay

Guest jeromas

I'm working on getting PayPal Direct and Express Pay set-up, and I went through the business of get my API certificate from PayPal for a live site, as well as making sure /pear/temp was chmodded 777. Once I did this, and enabled Express Pay and Direct Pay in the CC Admin section, Express pay worked without a hitch, but Direct Pay kept returning 'Order Failed'.

Is there some requirement by PayPal that a sandbox account have been successfully tested before the live version will function correctly? I ask this because CubeCart is not listed as one of the carts that has been integrated with PayPal Direct.

Also, does anyone know if I have to set up a brand new account with PayPal for my sandbox if I already have an existing live account? I looked on the site but it was not obvious to me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

• 2 weeks later...

Guest Insurrectus

First of all, turn on "Debug" in the PayPal Direct Pay setup window. This will create a log file at /pear/tmp/log.txt, then look through the log, usually near the end you will see some text like this:

<LongMessage xsi:type="xs:string">The credit card entered is either not a valid credit card, or does not match the credit card type in the CardType field</LongMessage>

I don't think you have to use the Sandbox first. I did, but I haven't read anything to suggest that Sandbox is required. If you do use Sandbox, I would, then yes you have to set up a Sandbox account from "scratch". When you sign-up for PayPal Pro, in Sandbox, you will be asked for a Social Security Number. Use any SSN that begins with 111, i.e. 111457890 (no dashes).

I'm going to try and figure out how to have the error message say more then just "order failed", this should be doable, I just need to figure out how to parse the XML log file.

IM me if you need more input.