Modification Guide

Guest NorthOfTheCity

Guest NorthOfTheCity

I am evaluating CubeCart as a replacement for an osCommerce package. One problem I have with osCommerce is it's ugly design, code and trash HTML it produces. The code from CubeArt looks a lot cleaner to work with, but I would like to save some time and get some overview of how its designed and how the files/modules work together.

I want to have this package produce W3 valid html as well as pages that are correctly SEO optimized, the way I want them.

If no design / overview / theory of operation documentation exists, I will figure it out for myself, but I sure don't want to spend a lot of time doing so.

Guest NorthOfTheCity

Never mind. I've had a chance to look at the code and how everything works. Well done with the template usage. This is how php sites should be designed. My first experience in the php world was with osCommerce - now that's a mess, even for open source.

Heh. You're not alone there....

This program is a real marvel of "separation of church (presentation) and state (application)". There are a lot of programs out there which could take lessons....

It's pretty easy to take the existing templates and modify them for a whole new look. It's also not too hard to tweak the core files themselves if necessary (but be sure to make good notes and/or thoroughly comment what you do!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Denver Dave

I certainly had an awful time modifying OsCommerce in the past. I'm not sure if zen-cart is better or not. While CubeCart has things that I've modified where I thought they should be part of the standard package (category dropdown selection lists sorted in category order - for instance), I have found the code well organized and not hard to modify.