Documentation

Guest alantomkins

Guest alantomkins

I don't seem to be able to find a user guide for CartCube v3 anywhere. I am developing a photography site and need to customise the look and feel to fit in with the overall site design. I know this is possible but as a beginner with this porduct and PHP I am going to need some help. Is there such an item out there?

Guest tbladecki

THere is not documentation or users guide "yet" I have been talking o brooky about doing an "unoffical" users guide using Wiki, I have started it but it is not ready ffor the public yet.... I still have some things to work out first, I hope to be able to have it up and running by the end of the week..

*/*

Guest alantomkins

Great news. To be honest I was very disappointed with this area of CubeCart as all the quotes on the site say "very simple to use and customise". I agree with the first statement but not the second.

Having used Actinic and EROL before (washing my mouth out with soap as you read this!), both of which have comprehensive documentation (and in fairness cost more) I was hoping for at least some guidence. Although I would love to, I simply don't have the time to become a developer as the customer is waiting.

I look forward to seeing your work, I'm sure it won't disappoint ;)

Alan

THere is not documentation or users guide "yet" I have been talking o brooky about doing an "unoffical" users guide using Wiki, I have started it but it is not ready ffor the public yet.... I still have some things to work out first, I hope to be able to have it up and running by the end of the week..

;)

Ley me know if you need any help mate. I'm fiddling with CC303 and wiki too, (the wiki has nothing to do with CC)

I am developing tutorials for certain aaspects of CubeCartâ„¢ as well. My tutorials will be visual guides, with screenshots and other images as well as tips on HTML and CSS for working with CubeCartâ„¢ templates. One very minor such tutorial should be published soon in the downloads section in PDF format. The other, more comprehensive ones will be made available from my site free to licensed CubeCartâ„¢ users, and for 99 cents to everyone else. Hopefully, this will encourage more use of CC, support for the developers of CC, and failing that, may help defray some of the cost of my own license(s) */*

Guest tbladecki

I am making progress on this... the "rough" version should be up and running by sunday...... again it will be very rough but you have to start somwhere and with all the support and experiance of the long timers this should go fairly smooth.

Just remember DONT SHOT THE MESSENGER.... I am only trying to help everyone and gets some documentation together and most of all help Brooky, so it may be a little scary at first, but I will get it layed out correct and working right.

Thank you for youe help and I look forward to working on this project and all of your help.

"stay tuned"

• 3 months later...
Guest tbladecki

I think that we need to pin this topic mods so that we can get this thing cranking....

And evryone that has writed guides, please post the informatino on the site.

If we all give it a go it should be a very good site wihtin a very short peiod of time

Ok Now onto serious matters, Im sorry about that Wiki Post guys its not ment to be public yet but my misses here thought it would be funny to post it on here lol...

well i guess it is kinda funny lol... ;) anyway im hoping that i can sort that wiki site out ASAP and get brookys aproval as an unofficial wiki though i know with .org just comming out ect people may be causious ( including brooky ) ...

Anyway ill talk it over with the big man on monday and at minimum there is a domain there :)

My suggestion would be little mouse over help buttons on each page of the Admin section. So let's say when you try to first change your homepage text and realize I need to CHMOD 777 the file....or have that information stored in the database instead of a text file.

But if you could mouse over a help icon and it would say "If file is not updated, please make sure /this/file is CHMOD 777, just don't forget to change it back to "CHMOD 644" when your finished.

One of the better examples of how this works is the Drupel Content Management system. Although quirky in some of it's operation, I never once had to consult a PDF because everything had detailed explainations or help icons like I mentioned above to explain everything. Made it one of the less painful CMS systems I've deployed over the years.

That is just my suggestion coming from an old PERL coder that had to write just as many comment lines as lines of code...

• 2 months later...
Guest cjsmiff

Having spent many hours with no joy searching for the illusive admin user guide, you know the kind you could give to your customers that shows them how to add a product etc, I have created one of my own.

It can be downloaded here for a nominal fee of £1.50:

http://www.clairehaas.co.uk/cubecartguide.htm

Since the admin section of CubeCart is pretty idiot proof the guide, although 24 pages, is relatively simple but gives your customer a visual reference when they attempt to manage their own online shop. My customers have found it very useful.

Let me know if you would like to see it grow into a more comprehensive version.