Shipping in Cart - n/a - v 3.0.3

Guest Denver Dave

Guest Denver Dave

In v 3.0.3 I've enabled shipping in the Per Category and Per Item shipping modules, but seem to get n/a for shipping in the first view cart (button at the top left of the store page) Then when I continue, we get a 2nd view cart screen now with our customer information (why the 2 view cart screens, I don't know - perhaps don't know shipping until we know were the customer lives?)

(1) I've enabled and added a shipping amount and handling fee in the Per Item shipping option (no place for country codes, so not added here).

(2) I've enabled the Per Category shipping option and added a US country code. Then when editing the category, I added a per shippment and per item amounts.

However after adding an item to the cart, the cart displays n/a for shipping in the first view cart screen without the customer info.

Ok, I disabled the per item. Now there is a dropdown in the second view cart screen with a blank shipping and a shipping amount option. Why is the ... Oh wait... OK had a per price at a blank amount, now have a dropdown with just the one proper shipping selected.

Whew - why the 2 view cart screens when someone is logged in? Why not just present the view cart screen with the customer and shipping information?

Thanks - any help / Insights appreciated

Hey there... im having problem # 4...n/a shipping on first view cart... very misleading as the price reflects the shipping but the shipping is n/a... i hope i dont lose any customers!

Any suggestions???

In v 3.0.3 I've enabled shipping in the Per Category and Per Item shipping modules, but seem to get n/a for shipping in the  first view cart (button at the top left of the store page)  Then when I continue, we get a 2nd view cart screen now with our customer information (why the 2 view cart screens, I don't know - perhaps don't know shipping until we know were the customer lives?)

Whew - why the 2 view cart screens when someone is logged in?  Why not just present the view cart screen with the customer and shipping information?

The CubeCart checkout process is split up like this:

- View/Modify Cart, allows you to modify your cart as much as you like. Shipping shown as "n/a"

- Delivery Address, allows you to modify your shipping address, shipping shown as "n/a"

- Shipping Method, shipping method can now be chosen.

Shipping Method is not provided on the same page as Delivery Address, because the customer needs to complete their delivery address before we can determine shipping options. Some other websites refresh the page when the customer updates the Country selection. This would be possible. Personally i don't like this because when i'm quickly tabbing through the fields and entering data, it slows me down and messes up what i am entering.

I like the way it is, especially after I changed the page titles and progress bar. I've changed my page titles to: View Cart, Delivery Address, Shipping Method, Payment. I've also changed the progress bar to accurately represent the separate stages of "Address" and "Shipping".

Hey there... im having problem # 4...n/a shipping on first view cart... very misleading as the price reflects the shipping but the shipping is n/a... i hope i dont lose any customers!

Any suggestions???

This has just appeared in 3.0.3. It is my understanding that this bug only occurs when a customer goes through the checkout process and selects a shipping method, and then returns to a previous checkout stage.

I don't think it would be too hard to keep this new functionality (ie. grand total incl. shipping is being remembered when customer returns to earlier pages), and simply make the shipping amount show up on the earlier pages (ie. where it currently shows n/a). Hope you understand what I mean.

Feel free to look at the code and try to fix this... I don't have the time right now.

Or, you could revert some modules back to the 3.0.2 version. But personally i think it would be better to keep this new functionality, and just make sure the shipping is displayed so that the grand total makes sense.

Guest Denver Dave

estelle - thanks for the high level view - wish we had more of these for Cubecart 3 ! Would especialy be useful for the UPS shipping method:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=11373

notti - I can understand why we don't show the shipping with View Cart #1 if we have different prices for different locations. However, if we only have one shipping price for all locations or the customer is already logged in and we know where they are, do we really need View Cart #1 or could we theoretically go directly to View Cart #2. (Also, I think it is confusing for 2 different screens to have the same title "View Cart")

Also part of the issue may be with the term n/a - shipping is not really non / applicable - it is more like we don't know the value yet. Perhaps if we have to have View Cart #1, it would be less confusing to not list shipping and taxes at all and say something like Cart total before taxes and shipping.

What do you think?

estelle - thanks for the high level view - wish we had more of these for Cubecart 3 !  Would especialy be useful for the UPS shipping method:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=11373

No worries. Can't help you with UPS though, cause I've never used it.

notti - I can understand why we don't show the shipping with View Cart #1 if we have different prices for different locations.  However, if we only have one shipping price for all locations or the customer is already logged in and we know where they are, do we really need View Cart #1 or could we theoretically go directly to View Cart #2.  (Also, I think it is confusing for 2 different screens to have the same title "View Cart")

Just some thoughts from me.... it would be very difficult to design the code to allow you to have a separate "step3" (delivery address) and "step4" (shipping method) in some cases, (ie. where shipping costs vary depending on country of destination), and yet in other cases have it all on the one page (just think about how the templates are organised). And note that it is more common to have different shipping prices for different countries. Also, think about the fact that CC keeps the delivery address separate from the shipping address, so even if a customer is logged in you cannot assume that the delivery address would be to the same country as their invoice address. And finally, keep in mind that CC has an option to restrict delivery to a customers invoice address only..... and this functionality is implemented by jumping from "step2" (view cart) to "step4" (select shipping). It would be very hard to support all the different types of functionality on the one page! But you're welcome to have a go at it, Dave... but you'd better get started... less talk, more coding! */*

Also part of the issue may be with the term n/a  - shipping is not really non / applicable - it is more like we don't know the value yet.  Perhaps if we have to have View Cart #1, it would be less confusing to not list shipping and taxes at all and say something like Cart total before taxes and shipping.

It would be very easy to modify your cart to do this, however I doubt this type of change will go into the standard product.

Hi Dave.. sorry for the delay in my reply. The military doesn't like me to have free time haha.

estelle, thank you very much for the time you took to answer our questions as they are very important to us.

I am using USPS regular flat rate envelope as my shipping and am still showing the n/a for shipping and the total price reflecting the shipping on step 1. Once I set everything up correctly and have gone live i realized that the total price only shows the product price on step 1 when i have cleared all page history. On step 2 the shipping shows and the total reflects both. I agree that perhaps the n/a for the shipping is a little confusing and maybe should be changed to something informative regarding the next step however now that I have tested it out and have it setup correctly I really don't see a reason to change it. Although if you did some coding regarding the shipping n/a then please let me know!

Thank you all for your help! :)

Take care.

Guest estelle

notti, i haven't done anything to change the shipping n/a, because personally it doesn't bother me. However as I said, i have made the checkout process less confusing by making the page titles more specific, making the checkout progress indicator show five steps instead of four, and I've also added help messages. Feel free to look at my store (it won't be live for at least another week or two), and if you want me to post any of my code changes, I would be happy to.