New to this... dumb payment gateway question!

Guest orcs2005

Guest orcs2005

Hi all,

I'm quite new to all of this, so I apologize in advance if this sounds completely moronic!

I made a website for my boss' non-profit organization, but I'm much more adept on the design side. He told me he'd like to implement the ability to have people register online for a conference they're having. Ok, no biggie, so I looked into doing a PayFlow Link through Verisign. Great, except my boss wants the ability to have people register for several things (conference activities, the conference itself, etc, each of which cost an additional fee), which would make me need some kind of shopping cart.

I was poking around my web hosting support and saw the link for CubeCart. Looks like a great, easy solution, but I'm a little cloudy on how to integrate it with the PayFlow link. The user's manual from Verisign gives info only on how to add a "buy now" type thing (for a single item purchase), then says if I want to make multiple purchases to "use shopping cart software". And Verisign doesn't list CubeCart on their long list of shopping carts that are compatible.

So I'm wondering how exactly to integrate the two. Is it something built right in to CubeCart? Any info would be great, as I have to explain the whole thing to my (very non technical) boss so he can take it to the organization's board (and they're not going to shell out $$ for Verisign if they're not clear on how the whole process works)

Thanks for any help!

Joanne */*

Guest Denver Dave

Good questions. I wonder for each gateway, whether they accept the order detail or only accept certain totals. I actually didn't know that Verisign had a payment gateway - what does it cost?

I had a similar issue with Paypal on a non-shopping cart book order form. None of the paypal options for shipping were acceptable and several types of books could be ordered, so we are calculating our own shipping and looking to pass the order detail through a paypal comment field to help in reconcilling the order with the cash received. I'd be interested in how others are doing this - somehow I felt we might have missed something obvious.

Guest orcs2005

I'm not sure if I'm using the term "payment gateway" correctly - we're planning on using Verisign to process the credit card info. If that's what's meant by "payment gateway", that's what I hope to do! */*

I'm planning on using Verisign's Payflow Link to process the card info - I think it'll cost something like $20/month and a setup fee, which I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm not sure if they accept details or totals, either - I signed up for a 30-day trial of the Payflow Link through Verisign, and I may just download CubeCart just to see how it all works together.