Regarding FCKEditor

Guest theorbo

I'm actually perfectly happy to have it reside where it does right now - I don't use it anyway most of the time, since I edit offline in TopStyle Pro.

It could be removed completely and I wouldn't miss it. A popup window however would drive me round the bend almost instantly.... I HATE popups of ANY kind....

To vote AND post your opinion click here

Its not only a matter of cheap broadband or slow dial-up connection its also some problems created with languages (such as Greek).

So when you go to a client to see live stores and then demonstrate the admin, they must have a broadband connection just to view its functions.

An on demand pop-up window is very appropriate and will fix the problems.

This is my opinion :D

To vote AND post your opinion click here

Guest Denver Dave
leave as is most peolple have broadband now
Fck Editor is fast enough, that's not the issue. The issue is sometimes not wanting the editor at all and being able to have a separate window that can be resized instead of trying to edit everything like a ship in a bottle.

I'm not sure what the download speed is like (as I have a copy of my store setup on my local machine)... but the editor doesn't load up all that fast on my computer, and when i'm trying to make lots of changes to different products/categories/settings etc, its a real pain.

And it used to crash FireFox regularly (when I was too eager and clicked on an FCK button before it had finished loading).

Denver Dave, broadband I can afford will NEVER be available where I live. This is a 40 phone market, with crap 30 year old analog lines. QWest will NOT be upgrading anytime in the next 10+ years. The nearest cable/dsl hub is 40 miles south - they indicated that they'd be happy to move out this far with broadband, IF 250 people would put up a MINIMUM of $5k apiece. There aren't 250 people here with phones much less an interest in broadband and $5k to spend on it.

The only option for broadband here is satband. But since in order to get tv, we already have to pay the sat company $55 a month, adding another $100 on top of that for broadband is just not an option. And it IS another $100 per month for satellite broadband here.

No, I don't live on Alaska's North Slope. I live in southern Utah, 40 miles from the fastest growing small city in the US - St George.

Broadband is lovely for those of you who have it. But it will be a while before the rest of us have that option. I still optimize every site I design for dialup - in other words, load as quickly as possible, with clean code, compressed graphics, and no silly stuff like flash.

/rant off

Guest Denver Dave

OK... OK .. OK ... I was trying to indicate that even if connection speed was fast, in many cases, it would be helpful to be able to only use the FCK editor when specifically requested.

Also, sure sounds like the speed may be an issue for many people and even if not for the developer, may be an issue for the client.

In any case, would be nice to have an option to

(1) not have the FCK editor at all

(2) not have the editor, but be able to request it if needed in a separate window (my favorite)

(3) have the editor always displayed

As usual every which way.

Guest theorbo

Well, yes - the options would be fine.... In point of fact, an option during install to simply NOT install it would be nice! It works okay under many circs, but anyone who's developing sites has something they use on a daily basis and with which they are very familiar anyway, so FCK is pretty superfluous in those cases.

And if it causes problems in various languages other than English, then it should DEFINITELY be optional. If it's causing trouble with Greek, I imagine it would also be problematic with Russian....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soundloop

FCK editor is evil. It's actually a major pain if you are trying to use any sort of embedded media such as flash or quicktime. It strips embed tags from source and changes things like "&" to "&" which is not good if you are specifying variables in flash code blocks that are connected with ampersands in source. It makes everything break.

This really should not be the default in cubecart and is a big drawback of this system. As an option it is fine, but should never ever ever be the standard only option for editing content.

I remember that Wysiwyg pro used to do the same thing, which I pointed it out to the authors who have since fixed it so it no longer strips code. So it seems to be a common (yet fixable) problem with some wysiwygs.

Cheers,

TC

Guest estelle

This really should not be the default in cubecart and is a big drawback of this system. As an option it is fine, but should never ever ever be the standard only option for editing content.

I think many people would disagree with you, but I understand and personally I don't use the FCK editor.

I'm in the process of writing up instructions of how to replace the FCK editor with a textarea input field, in the various different Admin pages. When its finished i'll post it in the downloads section.

I'm in the process of writing up instructions of how to replace the FCK editor with a textarea input field, in the various different Admin pages. When its finished i'll post it in the downloads section.

Estelle,

There is a mod in the downloads section to turn off FCK and replace it with simple text areas. This mod works for product edits only and should good enough for most people. If you gona write up something, take a look at that mod, it should be a good start for you. but that's just my opinion :rolleyes:

Thanks

/Goober

Guest estelle

Thanks Goober, yep I did look at that mod :rolleyes:. And someone else extended it to take care of the FCK Editor on a few other admin pages, but there was mistakes and it didn't work. So i just figured I would write up more thorough instructions, similar to yours but extended to replace the FCK Editor on all 6 different admin pages.

@estelle,

do you still remember the major problem with the Greek language and FCK?

Now that was a pain in the a** to solve :rolleyes: but it was solved at the end with a little help from you and a few other's :)

I am also interested in your new mod when its finished :)

Your "Contact us" mod is something else.

I had a problem with emails arriving and the only email that would come through was from your form. Excelent piece of job B)

Guest soundloop

I think many people would disagree with you, but I understand and personally I don't use the FCK editor.

I'm in the process of writing up instructions of how to replace the FCK editor with a textarea input field, in the various different Admin pages.  When its finished i'll post it in the downloads section.

Hi Estelle,

I guess some people would disagree, but I still stand by my statement. It depends on what you are doing. If you are a web developer who uses flash and streaming media as an integral part of your work (as I do) then it is a huge drawback. I would guess that many people here don't and that's fine.

However, imagine if by default it stripped all image tags. I don't think it would be viewed as a great feature. For what I do, that analogy is about on par.

Also, just to point this out, even if you use the source view and paste in your code (which is what I do) it will strip it. So it's an inherent flaw with FCK.

I think cubecart is great apart from this issue, and Alistair has been very responsive to my emails, I just don't think that any software package should hold you to a wysiwyg editor given that they have a tendancy to corrupt code.

I'm looking forward to your mod, thank you very much for doing that. I did install the other two mods several times, and with some tweaking had some limited success partially removing the editor on my install (got rid of it for individual products), but as you pointed out they don't quite work fully (I'm on 3.05, so I thought that might be part of it).

Cheers,

TC

@soundloop welcome :)

The FCK matter has been an issue for a while now and i even made a poll just to see the results.

Personally i would like it to go on, (on request/demand) when i want/need it, in a pop-up window. :)

This feature would allow everyone to use it or not whenever they wanted or not.

I have tryed and installed every mod about FCK but they are not complete solutions. B)

I am waiting for estelles mod :rolleyes:

Guest estelle

@estelle,

do you still remember the major problem with the Greek language and FCK?

Now that was a pain in the a** to solve  :rolleyes:  but it was solved at the end with a little help from you and a few other's  B)

I am also interested in your new mod when its finished  :)

Your "Contact us" mod is something else.

I had a problem with emails arriving and the only email that would come through was from your form. Excelent piece of job B)

@vrakas

LOL :). When i was working on that problem with the Greek characters, it was the first time I'd ever changed my keyboard to anything other than US, and I kept having to cut and paste text just to enter URLs, because I couldn't figure out how to switch between keyboard types :D

Happy i fixed your problem with emails :)

Guest estelle

I guess some people would disagree, but I still stand by my statement. It depends on what you are doing. If you are a web developer who uses flash and streaming media as an integral part of your work (as I do) then it is a huge drawback. I would guess that many people here don't and that's fine.

Also, just to point this out, even if you use the source view and paste in your code (which is what I do) it will strip it. So it's an inherent flaw with FCK.

I know, and the fact that it reformats and changes your code is a major flaw. In most of what I do, the source view of the editor is fine, but obviously its not at all good enough for your requirements.

I still believe that the FCK Editor is probably a lifesaver for the majority of people who don't even know basic HTML. *But* it really does need to be optional.

I'll post here when I finish writing the full instructions for making all the FCK Editors optional. In the middle of a couple of paid mods though, so they come first :rolleyes:

Estelle.

• 4 weeks later...