General Upgrade Q's, re: 3.0.3 to 3.0.4

Guest gpeden

Hi folks,

First, let me say that I've done all the 3.0X upgrades, smooth as silk. Except that once in a while my FTP upload hangs and I'm very happy that I've made a copy of the original files on the server and I can just restore in an instant. Anyway, as I've sat here doing each upoad via dialup and taking long enough that there's a good chance there will be a glitch, I wonder:

-If there's only 6 files to be changed for this upgrade, why am I uploading a gazilliion files less the 2 or 3 excluded ones, per the 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 upgrade readme? Why can't I just replace those 6 files with the new ones if I don't feel like editing them?

"upload........ excluding: ........ language/*/home.inc.php (If you have made changes.)"

....means to exclude the "home.inc.php" from uploading only if I've made changes to them (which I haen't) , so upload all the language directory?

Again, if the manual upgrade only involves changing files in the "includes" directory, why am I uploading all those other directories? What the heck? :D

I've been dong these upgrades with the store live. Better to do it with the store turned off?

Guest skekum

falsoft & megagente,

The files to change or upload are stated clearly in the instructions. There are only 6 files in total (assuming you are going from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4).

Download the package from the download section. Look in the "Upgrade" folder and read the instructions 3.0.3 to 3.0.4. It tells you which lines to change in what files.

Hope this helps

Guest gpeden

Hi folks,

So can anyone answer my question? :o

Why does the prescribed upgrade from 3.0.3 to 3.0.4 have me upload the entire site less a few files?

Because every file in the application has a date stamp and version in it. If you have lots of mods then you could very easily have some files that you've manually upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4. There's no telling what version those files would show.

But if you've applied all the necessary upgrade changes between the files in question, you can change the header of all the PHP files to show the proper version at you own discretion. Because when you come back to it in a month or 6 months, you may not remember what you've done and where. Knowing that everything in a particular file is up to at least 3.x.x specs before the mods were added will help.

Does that help?

Guest gpeden

Thanks - knowing that there is a reason for doing it is helpful, regardless of how completey I understand why :rolleyes:

Doing the "edit only a few files thing" would just leave the rest needing to be upgraded some other time, if only to have a correct date/version stamp for a possibly more complex upgrade scipt in the future?

Me? I have no mods....... :D