cross-browser padding in subCats

jerseyjoe

Firefox is displaying your layout correctly. (IE does not follow all the CSS rules)

You should do two things in .subcat:

1. change the 'margin' dimension to make space between sub category graphics.

2. delete the 'width' tag

Sounds like an ad for FireFox. Truth is, all browsers have their quirks. Makes it difficult for coding a site. Not as bad as a few years back, but still difficult.

Firefox puts 5px padding on an HTML body by default, as opposed to all other browsers.

Firefox and other Mozillas do not like "fixed" and/or "no-repeat" applied to backgrounds of lower-level elements, especially when CSS shorthand is used for specifying background properties.

The initial rivalry between IE and Netscape has caused some divergence in displays that persist today in all versions of IE and Mozillas, and I doubt that any of them "follow CSS rules completely" unles the W3C has now created a fresh new browser of its own . . .

But I'm not an expert, this is just a sneaky suspicion ;)

try to alter the padding rule to

padding: 6px 6px 6px 6px;
the pixel width is , viewed clockwise respectively 
top right bottom left

This has sofar worked for me in both browser whenever i need padding applied.....

Here's the results of what worked. Compare in both browsers:

http://www.vikolya.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1

I changed the width in .subcat from 110 to 120.

The result, while not perfect, is an acceptable compromise. I wish that FF would read the width of the top row center as well as IE has. If I knew how to force it to, I would.