Homepage and home.inc.php

I CHMOD back my home.inc.php file to 644 but I am still able to edit my homepage within the cubecart admin section.

This is odd !

Any solutions out there?

Thanks

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

Who 'owns' the files? ie: if the web server 'owns' the files (user is typically apache or httpd) then that will have the 'owner permissions', in this case 6 which is read & write.

If you have access to the server, cd to the folder, and run an ls or ll and see what the user is in the listing. If not, ask your hosting company to check it out for you.

I would investigate this avenue before a scipting error.

Cheers.

Guest SHOGUN

I've had alot of peoblems with that full ordeal, I just desided to leave it at 777. It wasn't even my choice really, my FTP won't allow me to change it back.

This occurs sometimes with my ftp program and i need to refresh and do it back to a previous value and then redo it, then it works. :(

Give this a try if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

is there any potential risk on leaving 777 At the homepage??, i do modifications to my home page and products with regularity, so do i need to chmod to 644 everytime or i can just leave it as is??

Guest jeromas

777 permissions give anyone permission to read, write and execute on a file or directory given those permissions, so it is certainly a security risk. The rule of thumb is to use the most restrictive set of file permissions that will will you and your clients to perform the necessary operations in your store.

If you are the 'owner', you should really only need to chmod the files to 644, which is read/write for the owner/user, and read only for all others.