Shipping needs at least a few explanations

jerseyjoe

The shipping module configuration is the source of much more trouble than it should be for the simple reason that NOTHING is adequately explained.

Take the obvious options of UPS and "ship by weight."

What does a "standard" or "normal" configuration look like?

What is the point and effect of all those configurations such as "by weight".

Does enabling or disabling it have any effect on UPS configuration?

Are both required or are they in conflict?

If UPS is enabled and various methods are chosen (Ground, Next Day, etc.) where is the UPS module getting the costs that the checkout inserts?

Yes, I did but I wish I could say for certain what worked.

I turned off UPS and confirmed that I could ship as long as no UPS is charged. Then I went in and installed a weight on every product, finding that about 10% had none. Then I turned on the mysteriouas "by weight" configuration - andtest said I could not ship - so I went back, turned off that feature and again enabled UPS.

Suddenly, orders were processed again.

Now, I still hope someone can tell me of what use are all those configurations. Meanwhile, where the UPS module gets its freight charges is the greatest secret since those WMDs that caused us to stumble into Iraq.

Right now I settle for the answer to the UPS part of that and leave the WMDs for the next election.

Guest artwork

:sourcerer: :rolly::sourcerer::rolly::w00t:

I have yet to enable shipping on my store...thats my next dilema, and after reading the threads on the shipping problems I'm not sure which way to go.

I have a question, instead of using weight to figure shipping cost, is there a way to charge a flat rate for each item---then an additional amount for each additional item up to a certain amount?

jersey Joe- did you get that text input mod you were looking for a while back?

Thanks***

Let me add my 2 cents worth....

My requirement is: Flat shipping fee of 6.95 on orders up to $75. Orders over $75 dollars the shipping is 10% of the order amount. Obviously there is no way to do this at the moment.

Shipping by Category would work. Looking at the example in the module, you can assign different base charges per category and different additional charges per item. I can't find anywhere either a description of how to do this, no less how to assign different shipping charges per item.

Anybody with an explanation......

Thanks,

Klaus Cook

Houston, Texas

@ jeseyjoe, I believe that all the various configurations are meant to lend more flexibility to shipping modules in CubeCart - if they all worked!

Shipping is like everything else, there is no published documentation, but the "by weight" module was easy enough for me after a few tries.

The "By Weight" module stands alone. It is not connected to any particular method, like UPS. If you are going to use UPS, you can just stick with the UPS module and do not enable shipping "By Weight."

For shipping by weight to work, all the following must be true:

1. All products have a weight value attached to them.

2. If you use a zone, you must fill out all fields; i.e., 1st Class, 2nd Class, etc.

3. Country code(s) must be uppercase and comma separated with no spaces in the string.

4. Your weight unit is set in ACP (pounds, kilograms).

5. You set the ship-by-weight rates as follows:

up_to_this_weight_unit:charge_this_amount,up_to_this_weight_unit:charge_this_amo

unt,up_to_this_weight_unit:charge_this_amount,up_to_this_weight_unit:charge_this_

amount,

Example . . . 1:1.29,2:2.45,3:4.67,

Would mean up to one pound charge $1.29, up to 2 pounds charge $2.45, etc.

Hope this helps :sourcerer:

Guest groovejuice

Hey jerseyjoe,

I've managed, I think, to get the UPS to function. I'll post this info itself for all users, especially Canadians, as there seemed to be a significant problem there. You asked how the module accessess UPS rates and I believe the mod connects with the UPS site and uses the current shipping info posted there....