Thumbnails not showing

www.racetin.co.uk/shophome

I have had this shop set up for me using cubecart 3.05. I do not have access to the FTP, I believe, as the person who uploaded it all has this access information. I uploaded all the images, which were accepted, but no thumbnails are appearing. I asked the person who set it up to sort it, and having 'fiddled around' with it for a couple of hours he thought he had sorted it and told me to delete all my images, rename them with a small filename followed by .jpeg, then upload them and thumbnails should be automatically created.

I have done all this, and it seems to have made no difference. I am very new to this, so step-by-step instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Pippa

Pippa, if your server has GD Bibliotek running on it (GD for short, it is a server-side image manipulation program) then your thumbnails should be created automatically whenever you add or edit products and either upload an image for the product, or connect the product to an image by using the "browse existing images" button.

If your thumbnails are not being created automatically, it most likely means that GD is either not installed or not enabled on your webhost's server. You need to take this up with your webhosting company.

You do not have to use GD to solve this problem, if you have FTP access to your site. You can create the thumbnails on your PC, then use FTP to upload them to images/uploads/thumbs.

It seems to me that your choices are:

1. Get GD working on your webserver

2. Get FTP permissions and program to upload thumbnails

3. Have the person who is making your store do all this for you

If you are going to upload thumbs, or have someone else do it, they need to be named a particular way in order to work.

There have been posts in the past week sorting out these sorts of problems, and I don't want to go into much more detail until you decide what you are going to do. Much of the help you will get from this forum will require your being able to edit and upload files, so IMHO you need to get FTP acces, or have the person you hired start posting here and fixing things for you.

HTH,

Mark

Yes, it does, because if GD is running, thumbnails should be created ;)

Here is another thread which discussed a similar problem, but in that case GD was not operating.

If you are able to edit files at all, perhaps through cpanel, I'd ask you to rename the index.html files in images/uploads and in images/uploads/thumbs temporarily so that I could take a peek in there.

Also, in your ACP under general settings, there is a setting for GD version and .GIF creation . . . check those settings to be sure that they match your version, and that GD can create GIF's.

Hi Pippa,

I have just looked at your site, and it doesn't appear that your images have been connected to the products.

Try this:

1. Edit products, choose product to edit.

2. If you have uploaded a product image for this product and renamed it or something, use the "browse existing images" button to choose an image for the product.

3. Click the "Edit Product" button to submit your changes.

If you do this for each product, a thumbnail should be created for each one automatically.

Hey,,,that was my thread :) One thing you may want to check and I remember this very well..hehe...in your admin panel , under general setting about 3/4 way done is a gd setting...set it to 2 if your server is running GD 2. I have to run mine N/A till my host installs GD. That makes it where I have to resize,rename to thumbs_file.gif and manually upload (ftp)the thumbnails to the images/uploads/thumbs directory. The uploads and the thumbs have to be the same name and file type...<EX> fan.gif in the uploads dir and thumbs_fan.gif in the thumbs directory. hope this is your problem as it is easy to fix... and I would definatly get WS_ftp for an ftp program...I use it more then the cpanel that my host supplies.

good luck.