Cube vs Zen and Others

Guest bgarrant

Guest sunshine

Zen's a decent cart, but I'll tell you a little about CC. CCis 100% valid CSS/XHTML, Templates 100% seperate from scripts, skins customizing limits to your own imagination, NON-bloated php, secure, scripts continuously being worked on for improvements by developer, growing number of mods and customizable mods by EXCELLENT coders, friendly forum AND helpful. That's a few. :(

:w00t: A lot of mods you have to pay for

There is over a 100 mods freely available for V2

and the ones for V3 still coming out now but remember that a lot of mods that the old skool modders made for V2 r now included in the out of the box V3.

Hmm. Ironic. Visited oscommerce website the other day cause someone needed some help with it and i noticed they've updated the design etc of their forums. Intrigued i checked the homepage. "Current release 2.2 *Sigh*. Close"

Here is how I see it.

I use CC, OSC, And Zen just to name a few for site's I am doing. And here is what I have found.

CC ver 2.x.x easy to use, ready out of the box for a store, easy to edit PHP code.

CC ver 3.x.x Nice layout, Better coding, Harder to code, Ready out of the box, both 2.x.x and 3.x.x Runs on windows and linux servers. and cost is cheap to remove copyrights.

Zencart looks like CC but handles like OSC, The php code is good support is low and not as easy to mod as CC. Fewer mods. offers a few bells with it. cost Free

OSC Is a nice cart but like they say with too many hands in the pot all you get is crap. the cart is nice. Lots of mods, very larg following. forget support, and if you do get support you will pay out the noise. the fourm is a mess ( just try and find somthing there ) code is harder for nOOb to read and install the mods. and it is far from ready out of the box.

Over all cubecart is your best bet. And if you really went to lean PHP start with ver 2.x.x of cubecart.

Just try them for your self and you will see. We can sit here and tell you CC is the best but hey look where we are post this info on CC's site. Try and post this info on there site and see how fast they delete it. ( its fun best time is 1 hour ) anyway thats it. the only way you will really know is to try it your self.

Later

Will

Guest estelle

But did CubeCart v2 have the whole skin/template thing going? I didn't think it did, and i think that is by far the biggest bonus of CubeCart v3. Start with v3, I reckon...

Hmmm. I'm running & stickin with v2 and currently doing a complete overhaul of the design. I'm not talking banner at the bottom menu along top massive thing but the change in layout is pretty decent and lookin slick so far ^.^

Guest unikind

I too have tried ZC and the others. I can say that CC is the only one that lets you have more than one admin. Which is what I need. The others don't let you even have other admins let alone be able to restrict thier access like this one.

Im yet another CC Beliver...

OSC i just found confusing in both code and the admin panel... Im an experienced coder yet Zen & OSC both confused me compared to the code of CubeCart...

You do need to do your reading up about XTPL before coding in CubeCart v3, but it is still ALOT simpler, and v2 though it is harder to skin is easier to code...

If you only want to learn PHP use v2, if you are more or a web designer use v3 and learn the XTPL system, this knowlege can bring you above many when it come to writing programs, and alot more scripts are using it as a skinning engine...

I Agree also with the multiple admins, i think there is a mod for Zen that allows multiple admins but none that restricts access, i sometime subcontract workout to other designers or students who just want to earn a bit of cash and without the ability to monitor and restrict their access i would be stuck with no way of safe garding my store...