Expanding category links

Guest overdrive

Guest overdrive

Hi there, I am trying to build a shop with multiple categories, each with a further 5 or so sub-sections and what I'd like to do is to have each main category, when clicked, to open down with the sub-sections showing whilst the visitor is in that category. The link below shows this in a template based upon osCommerce.

example of expanding links

Is this possible in CC? and if so, is it easy?

Any help appreciated.

Guest Muslimin

I believe you have to include some sort of JAVA SCRIPT to index.php

I posted my NiceMenu and I tried it, it works but alas, an error with warning persists.

You have to make sure that people who DISABLE JAVA SCRIPT can see alternate menu (plain menu).

Yes, I used osCommerce but it is a pain to include that Cool-Menu thing (if you ever tried it).

See below

Need somebody expert to advise where and how exactly to include this menu!

NiceMenu-orange-warning.JPG

Guest overdrive

Hiya,

not what I had in mind. I'm trying to get the sublinks to be placed under the main cat heading on the left while the visitor stays in that category.

I believe what's needed for my solution is based on the php calls. Otherwise any javascript may need hardcoding which would mean the admin route of adding new categories would be stopped.

Guest overdrive

Convict, you're a ;):sourcerer::sourcerer: !

Didn't mean to nag or anything :whistle: just replying to Muslimin

Honestly though this mod may seem to some to be innocuous but actually will make a BIG impact in the design side of things. I'll try and be patient ... eager.gif

TC

Guest Muslimin

Yes I should have included the script in

/skins/Killer/styleTemplates/global/index.tpl

I just add the Namo-created script and voila! The warning disappeared and it works nicely so I called the little NiceMenu :)

See here

It works fine on Internet Explorer but not very so with Mozilla / Netscape. Haven't tried on Firefox.

I used the Killer skin so this menu makes use of the empty space in the middle. Otherwise, anybody can just change the position of the table by using the Mozilla Composer (also with Netscape Composer), just click the Move icon and move it to your desired position. Then copy the resulting script to the index.tpl.

This is an external script so users who got his browser disabled Java Script might not see the menu. That's fine since the original menu is still there.

NiceMenu-orange-okay-IE.JPG

Anybody wants the script, look for my attached file NiceMenu.zip somewhere here or just open my store and copy from the source.

http://muslimin.org/iklan

Guest overdrive

Hi Muslimin,

Unfortunately in Firefox the menus don't all show and your main blue nav links don't all click :) Don't know why

muslimin.jpg

works okay in my IE though.

Guest overdrive

Convict, fantastic mate! */*

Will be downloading this and trying out hopefully tonight. Will keep you posted on the results.

Many thanks, you're a wizard :(

TC