Add fee for using Credit Card

I am using the mals-e gateway for creditcard processing, and was wondering how do i add a message of warning about a 3% credit card fee on the payment selection bit of checkout.

and how do I get it to automatically add the 3% to the order. (only after they choose mals-e gateway)?

regards,

Syph

Guest woodbtreasures

Can't you set up mals so that there is a handling fee inluded?

I think that may solve your problem if it will work... :blink:

That way it will only charge them the fee if they use the cc option instead of a handling fee set up in Cubecart.

• 1 year later...
Guest maxed

I know this is a old thread but i have the same problem and would like to know how to do this

Could you please elaborate on how this would be done please?

Just a bit of warning, as far as I'm aware, it's against the policies of Visa/Mastercard to charge an extra fee for using credit cards and anyone caught doing so can face serious consequences.

What you CAN do is to offer a discount when paying by other means, but the amount charged to a credit card needs to be the "normal" price.

Guest xtremex

That is correct Alan, if you are caught charging a fee for use and acceptance of Visa/MC your merchant account will be terminated and you will be banned from accepting Visa or Mastercard ever again, no lie, I work for the bank, this is our policy clearly in our contracts.

I have to wonder if your prices are not sufficient to handle the processing fees, what are you doing trying to sell online? Your prices should be able to cover all expenses, including processing fees without having to do something illegal like charge an extra fee to cover them.

Simple solution - raise your prices a few bucks and you are covered.

Guest maxed

i want to be able to offer customers paying by Bank Transfer as opposed to paypal(credit card) a discount becasue those customers will have to pay bank transfer fees. of $20. So it would not be fair to my customers to ask them to pay more to pay through bank transfer when it is easier for them and for me..

So if anyone has any idea how to subtract $20 if the customer has chosen bank transfer as a payment option then please let me know!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tallbloke

Actually....you are allowed to charge a fee for processing credit cards, however, it must not exceed what you are charged yourself.

If this was illegal do you really think big brands would do it.

What "Big Brands" are doing this? Exactly where do you see it written that merchants are allowed to charge a fee for credit card usage?

Once more, it is against the terms and conditions set down by Visa/Mastercard and they will CANCEL your merchant account if you are caught doing it. Read the contract you signed for the merchant account and you will find this.

I don't remember anyone here saying it was "illegal" - against the laws. Just against the credit card companies policies.

Alan,

in the UK, it was common for companies to charge for credit cards in the '80s. Obviously this was pre-internet. I'm assuming credit card companies have changed their policies since.

However, it was commonplace back then.

This is an interesting topic though, although I agree that the credit card charges can be an issue, they are a small part of the cost of sale, if you factor in all the costs (hosting/wages/stock etc)

Jason

If the rules are different in the UK, I'm unaware of that.

However, it sounds like you're saying something along the line of "if everyone else is doing it, it must be okay". That type of thinking creates mobs, lynchings, riots, and a lot of other ugly scenes.

If in doubt, read the contract.

Tavel Agents do this all the time and tell you they will charge normally a 2% fee for credit card purchases. Big companies can get away with it because they can afford to lose the business but small companies just starting out cannot afford to potentially lose business over a few quid.

Hmm - thats right Steve...

I totally forgot they wanted x% extra for Credit card payment. Hmm! (and Grrr!)

Chatting to my GF here, she paid 1.3% extra for £920 flight to AUS (booked via Ebookers).

Does anyone here have a recent internet merchant agreement that fancy reading?

Obviously, if we all had to go back to Cheques & Postal orders, the cost of processing would be more than a few %.

I'm not sure where I stand - if the buiness model is of low margins and high turnover (ie flights/concert bookings etc), then I can see why you need to charge.

I wouldn't pay a credit card surcharge on most goods, espescially where I can get it elsewhere.

Jason