Help, need a "how to" or "where to look"

Okay you all.

Have a new challenge.

I want the index page to be a 3 column format, but the category pages to be 2 column and the viewproduct pages to also be 2 column. I looked in categories.tpl and saw that I'm not going to be able to do it there. I'm thinking that I need to alter the php so that it calls for a different tpl other than index.tpl . . .

This is what I think I need to do.

Create an altered index.tpl and name it something else.

Then call for the new index.tpl to be loaded when you go into the category and product pages.

What file handles this function of calling for the index.tpl??

Am I on the right track here?

Jen

I dont know if i am understanding....

You have mentioned categories.tpl template, but this one is categories box, not categories as page content. Page content for categories is viewCat.tpl and for products viewProd.tpl. Approprate PHP files having the same name (with a php extension) in includes/content folder resides. That means 4 files.

If you want to have 2 columns category/product content page, you have to manage the files i have mentioned. Nothing else. More solutions still exists of course.

EDIT

Different solution is 2 colmn entire page what i saw afterward. :wub:

More concrete description is needed sometimes :lol:

Yes I realized that the categories.tpl and the viewProd.tpl were only the content and didn't specify the 3 column format, but index.tpl did. I found out that the difference between index.tpl and cart.tpl was that index.tpl loaded in index.php and cart.tpl loaded into cart.php. So I think that now I need to build a new php document for categories.tpl and viewProd.tpl and delete where they are called for in index.php and put them into the new php doc. Also build a new tpl doc that is called for in the new php doc. But I'm not sure how these pages would effect links within the cart, if I would need to change all the links to point to the new php so it didn't try to load index.php with categories inside of it and then result in a broken page . . .

This all actually is above my head, but in theory I think it should work.

Jen

I have Replied to your MOVED post... This is not to do with creating a new .php file but editing your exsisting index.php file and creating a new .tpl file in the templateFiles/global/ directory...

Edit: This Mod Is Now Created Please Contact Me For More Details

an Example can be seen Here, its a rubish example because i didn't play around with the TPL files much just moved everything from one side to the other...

Edited by aikdo