Screen Resolution

I alternate between everything from 800x600 - 1464x1000, but my standard one it 1024x768...

website should genneraly be amde with 800x600 in mind, dont bother for any lower as its a 4% of net use of lowwer and the expect to scroll... 800x600 is more around the 50% market and dont want to scroll..

I have always aimed sites at 800x600 resolution, usually static width. However now-a-days more people are getting flat screens and the general resolution is gradually increasing to 1024x768.

That's not to say that you shouldn't consider 800x600 to be the base screen resolution for sites. I think it more important now to have a site that looks great in both resolutions.

I plan to redo my main website and cart over the xmas period to make it a dynamic width. Whether I get the time is another matter.

But to answer your question, I run 1280x1024 on my desktop.

Adam, that's a good link (I actually spend alot of time at W3C), but beware! Those statistics are compiled from visitors at W3C . . . not from samples of many sites around the web. That is why they make a qualifying explanation about FF:

Why so high Firefox figures?

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures below are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

The same can be said about screen resolutions, although I believe on new PCs WinXP may install with 1024X768 as default, so the number is surely growing even among non-techies ;)

While the W3C statistics are interesting, I would never base decisions about my store layout upon those statistics, unless my products were aimed at techies . . .