Test site

Guest digilution

Guest digilution

With the new version of CubeCart, is there any way I can upload it and modify it as so I can put all my mods back and when ready, just delete my existing site. :D

Guest estelle

Yep. Just put it in a different subdirectory and go from there.

When you're ready to swap over, copy the global.inc.php from your old store and use it to replace the global.inc.php of your new 3.0.7 store. Then move your old store aside, and move your new 3.0.7 store into place.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest digilution

Yep. Just put it in a different subdirectory and go from there.

When you're ready to swap over, copy the global.inc.php from your old store and use it to replace the global.inc.php of your new 3.0.7 store. Then move your old store aside, and move your new 3.0.7 store into place.

Right let me see if I can get this right.

1. I upload the new 3.0.8 to /web/cart if my existing site is in /web (could I just create a new folder /cart and put it in there ?)

2. I suppose all the files I just ftp to the new folder.

3. I replace the new files with the existing ones ie global.inc.php etc

4. I put all my mods back

5. Will this effect my existing site and database whilst doing all of this

6. How do I test the new site live whilst the old is still running.

Thats about it I suppose, simple questions for many but confusing the hell out of me :D

as long as you put test site into different folder and create a new database it wont affect ur store in anyway.

If you are going to share the database be careful when making upgrades.

Guest digilution

Estelle thanks for the instructions....straight forward :P

I have managed to create an exact copy of my existing stores database and now I have a problem........

I have to upload the new cc8 files but cant seem to find the upload folder within the new release. When I download the zip file and extract the files to my Hard drive, I just have 1103 files. I must be thick not to get this right but here is the link where I got the download.

Guest digilution

There's nothing wrong with the 308 archive. Perhaps try a different program to unzip the file?

Suggestions? :) and will I be able to see the upload folder then :D

Guest digilution

Try downloading the 308 archive again, and try unzipping it with winzip, or 7zip.

God knows what I am doing but downloaded the 3.08 file unzipped with winzip and I just get all the files but no upload folder!!

Guest digilution

Try downloading the 308 archive again, and try unzipping it with winzip, or 7zip.

God knows what I am doing but downloaded the 3.08 file unzipped with winzip and I just get all the files but no upload folder!!

What a prat */* my version on winzip had expired */*

Estelle thanx for 7-zip :)

Would it not be a good idea to start a idiots section ;) for the most common stupid /simple problems.

Guest digilution

*/* all up and running, new and existing site :)

Only one problem and that is my new store is located on my existing url/test and if I try to log onto my admin using url/test/admin...it moves me to url/admin and not url/test/admin.

My globals.inc file has all the new database settings and passwords ;)

Guest estelle

Triple check your globals.inc.php. Sounds like there might be a problem in one of the three paths. Even just a missing trailing slash where there's meant to be one can make all the difference.

Guest digilution

Right, between my hosting company and myself I/we have managed to sort out access to both admin stores.

existing store is url/admin

test store is url/test/admin

When I am in the admin for the test store and click on admin home or store home or general settings, I am directed to the required page BUT on my old database (I guess its my old database as the cubecart version is 3.0.6)!!!!

Not sure if it has anything to do with the HTaccess file my Host placed on my server.

Should I ask my host to delete everything (every file and folder)and reinstall the backup database and store files for the live store?

One thing I have noticed and that was all my existing store files were in public_html/web but now I see that the files are now in the public_html and also in the public_html/web :D

Yes I can understand me stuffing things up but my Host has bread all my files :P

Guest digilution

:lol: :rolly::D 2 days and I sorted it :P just play around with the global.inc file....so proud of myself and a very big thanks to Estelle for the straight forward instructions. I am selling the same instructions now for a million dollars and yes Estelle, you can have half :wub:

Stephen,

I've written up some thorough instructions to help you do this. I'll email them to you.

Estelle.

Can I please get these instructions? I am setting up a site for a friend and I want to get it complete before I move it live.

thanks in advance.

Terri Bryant