project the Shopping Cart Mechanic (SCM)

jerseyjoe

I believe there is a need for a data base companion to CC. I'm calling it Shopping Cart Mechanic (SCM) and soliciting suggestions and support.

The data base would track the development of a CC store and maintain a record of its skinning, hacks and mods, patches, etc. The value, as I see it, would be as a handy resource of what has happened in the history of a particular installation.

It should support multiple stores so a developer can keep all stores in one location. It should be relational so that, for example, a query for all stores that have a certain mod or hack or patch installed would return records for those stores. It may as well also keep details such as user names and pws, contact info, etc.

To my mind, the ideal SCM would be server-based, written in MySQL and PHP, so it could be accessed through any Internet connection. I see it as Open Source but perhaps sold on modder's sites for a modest fee to recover costs of maintaining it.

But, I have problem doing it in those languages because I am a total doofus with MySQL and PHP. Perhaps someone here shares my view and will take this up?

On the other hand, if there is no support in those languages, I am heavily experienced in FileMaker Pro and could create a "run time" version, meaning it could be distributed as a stand alone app that would run desktop on either Windows or Mac. A server based version in FMP is possible but not practical - and would not be Open Source. But if there's a lack of support for a MySQL/PHPO version I'll still want feedback and suggestions from experienced CC developers who can help define the fields and functions that they want SCM to have when I create it in FMP.

So I'm putting this out with the hope that someone with MySQL - PHP expertise will pick up on it. I own a hosting company and would donate server space.

Feedback? Comment?

Im not 100% sure as to what it does precicely...

But it would indeed clash with the MME (mods made easy) project which is already in the begining prosses...

Hope is that in the future people wont need to upload the install files to their server to be able to run this but will be able to install it directly of the modders website ect which with the methods some people are suggesting is VERY possible...