updating from 3.o.7 –pl1 to 3.0.8

Guest moda1

I will be updating from 3.o.7 –pl1 to 3.0.8

Please verify if these steps right

1- I will erase includes/global.inc.php and language/ en/home.inc.php from upload file (since instruction say exclude) and copy the rest of the upload files (my case using frontpage) to my cubecart directory.

2- I have two mods text and shipping. Will these need to be reinstall.

3- If things do not work, will 3.07 work again if I re publish it with frontpage oif not how should I save and restore it.

4- I had 3.7 installed by fantastico, but I assume it does not matter if I upload 3..8 as above.

I appreciate somebody experienced guiding me as I already did my share of installing and reinstalling adding mods and all work well now. I had to waste all that time start all over again.

Guest estelle

1 - Yes

2 - Yes, they will need to be installed. Please contact me about the Text Input Mod as I will soon have a new version ready.

3 - If you have made a full backup of all files and your database, you should be able to restore these.

4 - No, even though you installed with fantastico, it will not matter if you perform a standard upgrade now.

Are you performing this upgrade on a live store?

Are you performing this upgrade on a live store?

That may not be a good idea. Yes, with Front Page you can publish, as they call it (which is really just an FTP-lite in disguise), or you can use the import / export feature. I use FP almost daily to support a large number of sites by small site that my server hosts so I am aware that FP has a habit of inserting things in files and that can be a source of weird problems.

Far better off to learn how to use a regular FTP program. I use WS-FTP Pro by Ipswich. Not free, but I think it is the best of breed, espcially in maintaining a connection on long uploads over shaky dialups.

But if budget is an issue, try either SmartFTP or FileZilla. Both are free. They are not, in my experience, as rock sold as WS, but iof you have a good connection, they'll do. WS_FTP does offer a free elvuation version but I think it stops working after 30 days. SmartFTP flips over to nag-mode after a trial period but you can ignore it forever.

For editing your PHP and CSS files, Front Page is just not right. My favorite for that is PHP Designer (www.mpsoftware.org). You can open files on the server, edit and save directly to the server.

Hope that helps . . .

Guest Onlinewebpublisher

Hi Estelle,

Sorry to sound a bit daft here, do by any chance know how to configure SmartFTP to continue uploading even if the ftp or site server times out? I had a problem recently when I upgraded to 3.0.7pl1 as my server keeps on timing out and I had to start from the very first file. But I do find smartftp nice and easy to use.

Thanks very much.

I've had great experiences with SmartFTP.

With FileZilla I used to occasionally find that some files were created but had a file size of zero.

Guest estelle

Yes. With SmartFTP...

Go to Tools -> Settings -> General -> Navigation.

Set Default Drag & Drop Operation to: Queue.

Then whenever you drag and drop your files so that they will be uploaded, they will all go through the "Global Queue". The Global Queue is shown in the Transfers view (which is usually a horizontal bar across the bottom of the window). When using the Global Queue, unsuccessful file transfers will be restarted, and if you are disconnected from the host the software will automatically reconnect you.

Note: You may need to click the small triangular "Start" button (in the Global Queue tab of the Transfers view) to get the upload started.

Sorry to sound a bit daft here, do by any chance know how to configure SmartFTP to continue uploading even if the ftp or site server times out?
You are not daft - at least not on this issue.

I used SmartFTP for a few years but then, after uopgrading my server, the problems began. First some of my hosting customers complained about dropped connections, both up and down. I thought it was their ISP because I host a few Caribbean web sites. The local ISP (Caribsurf) is a monopoly owned by Cable and Wireless (know locally as "Careless and Worthless").

But then from here in NY, especially on longer loads over both dialup and broadband, I too encountered the problem. The connection would drop. Retries timed out, even despite configuring the software for 120 second long retries. The problem persisted regardless of SmartFTP, CuteFTP, FileZilla, etc -

Then I switched to Ipswich's WS_FTP. End of problem. The connections were more robust, meaning fewer lost connections. On the rarer occasions when they happened, the software re-established the connection on the first automatic try and resumed the transfer.

Why WS should do what the others could not, I don't know - but what matters to me is, it does.

Hope that helps.

I will be updating from 3.o.7 –pl1 to 3.0.8

Please verify if these steps right

1- I will erase includes/global.inc.php and language/ en/home.inc.php from upload file (since instruction say exclude) and copy the rest of the upload files (my case using frontpage) to my cubecart directory.

2- I have two mods text and shipping. Will these need to be reinstall.

3- If things do not work, will 3.07 work again if I re publish it with frontpage oif not how should I save and restore it.

4- I had 3.7 installed by fantastico, but I assume it does not matter if I upload 3..8 as above.

I appreciate somebody experienced guiding me as I already did my share of installing and reinstalling adding mods and all work well now. I had to waste all that time start all over again.

I agree with all the comments about FTP comments. I also used WS-FTP but did have a few minor problems and they could have been of my own making. I switched to Cute and was amazed by the flexibility that it had over WS-FTP. Just my own opinion but consider both programs.

I definitely wouldn't use Frontpage. Even though I religiously use that program for html editing, it does change files and it can give you problems by the characters it sometimes inserts in a file.

Additionally, if you want to be positively safe when uploading a file to a server, WS-FTP and Cute offer you the option of uploading in strictly ascii mode, or strictly binary mode, or automatic mode. Files in some programs absolutely need to be uploaded in ascii mode or they will not operate correctly on a server.

Guest Onlinewebpublisher

Thank you very much Estelle and to the other gurus.

One follow-up question, how do I know which type of transfer to use "Binary or Ascii or Automatic" especially when uploading CC updates or doing CC upgrade.

Again thanks.

Yes. With SmartFTP...

Then whenever you drag and drop your files so that they will be uploaded, they will all go through the "Global Queue". The Global Queue is shown in the Transfers view (which is usually a horizontal bar across the bottom of the window). When using the Global Queue, unsuccessful file transfers will be restarted, and if you are disconnected from the host the software will automatically reconnect you.

Note: You may need to click the small triangular "Start" button (in the Global Queue tab of the Transfers view) to get the upload started.

Guest frjshop

Hi. I've read thru this topic and I'm still not sure what to do. I have tried to upgrade to 3.0.8 from 3.0.7-p1 which I installed thru Fantastico. I really need help with this. I've been using FileZilla and that doesn't seem to work. I know NOTHING about computer language. This is my first website and probably my last. Can anyone offer any assistance? I've read the Upgrade Instructions. I know I have 1 MySQL Database. Do I need another? Does this require a new username and password? I don't even know my Root Username or Root Password. I am using Lunarpages as my webhost and they are not helpful. Can anyone direct me to better information or offer any suggestions? I would be so very grateful. I doubt I'll ever be submitting a solution to CubeCart issues or writing any programming stuff - I'm computer-stupid, but will gladly support CubeCart however I can.

Also not sure about backing up stuff. This was done for me thru Fantastico when I upgraded to 3.0.7.

Thanks for anything anyone can offer,

Laura (frjshop) flamingoroadjewelry.com

Thank you very much Estelle and to the other gurus.

One follow-up question, how do I know which type of transfer to use "Binary or Ascii or Automatic" especially when uploading CC updates or doing CC upgrade.

Again thanks.

Yes. With SmartFTP...

Generally, in transfering cubecart type files, automatic mode will do the trick.

If you want to be extra safe, then use ascii for everything except images which require binary. Here again, automatic will transfer images ok.

Where I have run into problems is the transfer of cgi files and they definitely have to have ascii mode.

I hope this gives you some of the answers you seek. One thing for sure, if you use automatic mode and something doesn't work, then go back and re-upload in the safer modes.

Bill

I know that in WS-FTP, you can tell it which file extensions to send as ASCII -- everything else will go as binary. I would assume that all good FTP clients would have a similar feature.

Here's my list of ASCII file types:

HTM, HTML, TXT, PHP, CGI, PL, LOG, TPL, INC, JS, CSS

If you work with other server types, you might also add ASP, CFM, etc.

:on2long: