Cant change my CHMOD

Guest Netboris

Guest Netboris

Hi everybody,

I am about to install Cubecart 3.0.8. But at step 2 in the on screen installation it says that i have to change my current Permission in pear/tmp fro 0755 to 0777.

I have tryed to change the CHMOD in my FTP program. But everytime i have clicked "apply" and "ok". It just turns back to the old CHMOD number. What is wrong?

Netboris

Guest Netboris

Im baffled then, i cant see it being your ftp program but i cant say for sure. What are you using? I use filezilla which is a great free one. There also seems to be a few bugs in the latest version so it might be worth sticking with 3.0.7pl until everything is sorted out.

I remeber i had the same problem last time i installed cubecart. But i cant recall what i did to fix it.

I juse CuteFTP, but i will try to download filezilla and see if it works.

Netboris

Guest Netboris

This is very wired!

I tryed to download filezilla, and i worked perfectly! But in cuteFTP, even after 100 trys, it would not work. So i think i will juse filezilla from now on.

Netboris

its normaly just a case of having to refresh the FTP program changes dont always instantly come into effect and so cuteFTP would have needed to be closed and reopened you would have probably found the file reading 777 then...

But im glad you fixed the problem anyway :on2long:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm very new to all this and unfortunately am working with a very basic knowledge of the background workings of a website. I've maintained our main page for a few years but not actually started something like this myself.

Anyway, I've also run into this problem with needing to change CHMOD to 777, and it not being remembered by my FTP client.

I started out using Absolute FTP, and after I have changed the setting, the "Apply" button is still greyed out, so I figured I should just hit ok & then check if I could get past Step 2 of installation. Nope... so I went back in to see if it had saved it & I found it hadn't. I've tried closing it down/reconnecting and still it doesn't save the new settings. It seems to be going through all the processes of connecting etc so there are no errors in that respect.

I figured "if all else fails try a new program" - so I downloaded FileZilla as per this thread... and it still does the same thing.

Is there something wrong at the end of my server/settings on my server? I'm sorry to be a pain but please keep all responses simple/easy to follow as I'm gradually understanding everything better, but am still a novice at the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions....

Kristan.

Hello all,

I'm very new to all this and unfortunately am working with a very basic knowledge of the background workings of a website. I've maintained our main page for a few years but not actually started something like this myself.

Anyway, I've also run into this problem with needing to change CHMOD to 777, and it not being remembered by my FTP client.

I started out using Absolute FTP, and after I have changed the setting, the "Apply" button is still greyed out, so I figured I should just hit ok & then check if I could get past Step 2 of installation. Nope... so I went back in to see if it had saved it & I found it hadn't. I've tried closing it down/reconnecting and still it doesn't save the new settings. It seems to be going through all the processes of connecting etc so there are no errors in that respect.

I figured "if all else fails try a new program" - so I downloaded FileZilla as per this thread... and it still does the same thing.

Is there something wrong at the end of my server/settings on my server? I'm sorry to be a pain but please keep all responses simple/easy to follow as I'm gradually understanding everything better, but am still a novice at the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions....

Kristan.

Hi,

just a quick thought - are you on a Windows(IIS) server?

If this is the case, you'll probably have to ask your host to change the permissions :-(

Filezilla should just work! Can you post the message log from the top window in Filezilla?

Here is my message log:

Command: SITE CHMOD 777 /www/includes/global.inc.php

Response: 200 Permissions changed on /www/includes/global.inc.php

Command: TYPE A

Response: 200 TYPE is now ASCII

Jason