Advise??

Guest flmike

I currently have CC version 3.0.7-pl1 installed and running just fine. My register globals is ON ... I dont know how or where to look to turn it off.

My question is ... can I go ahead and use this version of the cart, or am I still wide open to some sort of attack?? I'm not all that clear on how to "back-up" the changes I have made to the cart, or more importantly, my database. I dont want to set it all up, and have to re-install later and loose everything.

Obviously I am new to this, so any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

PS ... I think the cart is awsome. Hats off to everyone who has worked on it. You have amazing talent to be able to put something like this together. Keep up the great work!!

I currently have CC version 3.0.7-pl1 installed and running just fine. My register globals is ON ... I dont know how or where to look to turn it off.

My question is ... can I go ahead and use this version of the cart, or am I still wide open to some sort of attack?? I'm not all that clear on how to "back-up" the changes I have made to the cart, or more importantly, my database. I dont want to set it all up, and have to re-install later and loose everything.

Obviously I am new to this, so any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

PS ... I think the cart is awsome. Hats off to everyone who has worked on it. You have amazing talent to be able to put something like this together. Keep up the great work!!

Hi,

I can't comment on turning register globals off - from what I read, there is little point in trying to do this locally, it needs to be done on the whole server (speak to your host)

CPanel also has a facility to automatically back-up a mySQL database, and a complete account, this is found under the "Back up" icon.

If you want to do it manually, or you don't have access to the Back-up function...

To backup the CC files, simply FTP them back to your PC. Ask here again if you need help doing this, or PM me.

However, this will not back-up your database files.

I will assume you're using Apache+CPanel (as opposed to Windows/IIS hosting)

You will probably have access to CPanel, which allows pretty good control over your account:

1. Log into this (usally, www.yourdomain.co.uk/cpanel)

2. Click on the "MySQL Databases" icon

3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "phpMyAdmin" link

4. phpMyAdmin will open in another window -ensure you don't block this pop-up!

5. Using the Database drop-down box, select your CC database (probably ending in cc1)

6. Click the EXPORT tab

7. Under the EXPORT area, click the Select All link, tick the Save as File box, and press the GO button.

8. A Save-File dialog box will appear, save the file somewhere safe :-)

9. When the file has been downloaded, you should be able to open the file in notepad/word etc. It will contain the SQL statements needed to re-create the database (its worth checking it contains this info)

I hope thats clear enough :-)

The attached screenshot should show you what is needed:

If you need any further help, yell here, or PM me.

Regards,

Jason

I followed your instructions and everything worked just fine. Thank you very much for your help with backing up the site/database.

Can anyone tell me if the version I am currently using is safe and stable enough to use so I can finish setting up?

Mike