UPS: Large Orders - Shipping Charge Problem...

Guest 7Design

Guest 7Design

Hello again,

We are running the latest version of CC.

When we place relatively small orders, the UPS shipping is correct.

However, when we place a large order with lots of items and the weight of the order gets high, at the checkout, there is a blank drop-down list where shipping method is selected and configured in the order.

Why is CC not providing a shipping amount on large orders? I know that the largest UPS weight is 150lb. But, CC is making it look like everything in the order is to be packaged together (when all the items obviously will not be).

In the admin area, how do we set UPS shipping up to know to seperate the items so it will provide a UPS shipping cost? We can't seem to locate this feature when adding a new product.

Thanks for the help. We know that there are a few other carts available out there that, when adding a new product, there is a place to choose whether the product is shipped by itself, and if not, how many per box. This always solves the UPS problem on large orders.

Thanks again.

7Design

Guest 7Design

This seems like this would be a common problem/issue. Surely the programmers of CC should have a resolution for this since they developed the entire cart. Shipping needs to be calculated the correct way for UPS and the max weight of an individual UPS box is 150lbs. The cart should be able to understand this.

Can someone please help us?

7Design

• 1 year later...

Wow, this post has been sitting there for over a year with now responses.

Ok, here is a quick hack that I'm still testing but it's worth trying:

In /modules/shipping/UPS/calc.php near line 69 look for:

$quote = $rate->getQuote();^M

and replace with:

// [email protected] - David M. Zendzian - Calculate quote if weight > 150

if ($totalWeight > 150) {

$numqueries = floor($totalWeight / 50); // Find total 50 lb boxes

$rate->weight(50); // Set rate weight to 50 lbs

$quote = $rate->getQuote() * $numqueries; // Get the quote & multiply by # of boxes

$extraWeight = $totalWeight - (50 * $numqueries); // Get weight left over after all 50 lb boxes

$rate->weight($extraWeigth); // Set weight of last box

$quote += $rate->getQuote(); // Get quote and add to total quote

} else {

}

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim Jones

and replace with:

$quote = $rate->getQuote() * $numqueries; // Get the quote & multiply by # of boxes

$extraWeight = $totalWeight - (50 * $numqueries); // Get weight left over after all 50 lb boxes

} else {

}

I'm a little surprised this hadn't been fixed by now. I just downloaded the latest version, and the 150 lb. limitation still exists. Your code worked, however I could not find "$quote = $rate->getQuote();^M", all I could find was "$quote = $rate->getQuote();" . So I removed the ^M and it worked!

The only issue is, if I understand the code, you are dividing the total weight by 50, taking that result and multiplying it by the cost to ship 50 lbs. and adding to that the cost to ship the remainder. However, I believe that if my customer orders 10 packages that weigh 20 lbs each, UPS will charge me the cost to ship 10 twenty pound boxes, not 4 fifty pound boxes. Is there a way to calculate each item's shipping cost by each item's weight and then add them for a shipping total?

If you can, PLEASE let me know.

• 1 month later...
Guest rwickham

I'm having this same problem. We sell large containers that require shipping price by weight. Some of these containers weigh about 70lbs. This can equal up to $50.00 in shipping. If the customer orders three of these or any combination of products that total over 150lbs, they don't get charged shipping.

Please Help! This can mean hundreds of dollars worth of shipping not being charged. We then have to follow up and charge shipping separately, or lose the sale.

We're currently using version 3.0.14

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest makoweb

Just a quick note to an old post..

Search for the string $quote = $rate->getQuote();

the ^M just got added on his paste.

P.s. This baled me out so thanks for original hack

and replace with:

} else {

}

I'm a little surprised this hadn't been fixed by now. I just downloaded the latest version, and the 150 lb. limitation still exists. Your code worked, however I could not find "$quote = $rate->getQuote();^M", all I could find was "$quote = $rate->getQuote();" . So I removed the ^M and it worked!

The only issue is, if I understand the code, you are dividing the total weight by 50, taking that result and multiplying it by the cost to ship 50 lbs. and adding to that the cost to ship the remainder. However, I believe that if my customer orders 10 packages that weigh 20 lbs each, UPS will charge me the cost to ship 10 twenty pound boxes, not 4 fifty pound boxes. Is there a way to calculate each item's shipping cost by each item's weight and then add them for a shipping total?

If you can, PLEASE let me know.