I just cant do it and its driving me mad!!!

Guest valeriejane44

Guest valeriejane44

;) Crikey guys, I am on my second day of trying to do this, and am getting nowhere fast. I am installing V3, everything is fine until I get to step 4. The error message is 'the config file could not be written. set back file permissions. includes/global.inc.php' Yes I have searched the forums and the knowledge base, and have changed permissions as instructed in the help manual, and tried all the amswers on here, and it still wont work! I am about to explode if I cant get this sorted. I keep altering the file permission but it still wont work.........................HELP

;) Crikey guys, I am on my second day of trying to do this, and am getting nowhere fast. I am installing V3, everything is fine until I get to step 4. The error message is 'the config file could not be written. set back file permissions. includes/global.inc.php' Yes I have searched the forums and the knowledge base, and have changed permissions as instructed in the help manual, and tried all the amswers on here, and it still wont work! I am about to explode if I cant get this sorted. I keep altering the file permission but it still wont work.........................HELP

Hi,

Are you on a Windows server?

If so, you'll probably have to get your web host to change permissions for you - put a support request in (or call them, as they will have to put the file permission back once step 4 is complete).

If you get no joy from them, PM me.

If you' on a Linux server, and you have CPanel (a control panel for your hosting) & Fantastico (an auto installer for many programs), you should be able to install from there, this is very quick and easy.

Post your web host url and package, I'll check it out and help you futher.

Jason

Guest valeriejane44

Hi,

If so, you'll probably have to get your web host to change permissions for you - put a support request in (or call them, as they will have to put the file permission back once step 4 is complete).

If you' on a Linux server, and you have CPanel (a control panel for your hosting) & Fantastico (an auto installer for many programs), you should be able to install from there, this is very quick and easy.

Jason

Hi jason, yes I am on windows, so I will give them a call now and ask them to change the file permissions. Then I will have to call them back after step 4? Right, well I shall make a start and get back to you!

Thanks

Hi,

Jason

Hi jason, yes I am on windows, so I will give them a call now and ask them to change the file permissions. Then I will have to call them back after step 4? Right, well I shall make a start and get back to you!

Thanks

Office closed, what a surprise! Right I will submit a support ticket see where that gets me!

Thanks

Guest valeriejane44

Thanks

Office closed, what a surprise! Right I will submit a support ticket see where that gets me!

Guest valeriejane44

Thanks

Hehe,

yep - serves you right for working on a weekend ;)

You can manually edit the file, its in /includes/

Here is one of my global.inc.php (upper case values need to be changed):

<?php

$glob['dbdatabase'  ] = 'DATABASE NAME'	;

$glob['dbhost'	  ] = 'localhost'	 ;

$glob['dbusername'  ] = 'USERNAME FOR DATABASE'	 ;

$glob['dbpassword'  ] = 'PASSWORD FOR DATABASE'	 ;

$glob['dbprefix'	] = ''				;

$glob['installed'   ] = '1'			;

$glob['rootDir'	 ] = '/home/USERNAME/public_html'	;

$glob['rootRel'	 ] = '/';

$glob['storeURL'	] = 'http://www.simplyslippers.co.uk';

?>

I'm guessing you know the Database values, and the store URL..

You may get stuck with the rootDir value - as this will look different.

Create the following file (or use the attachment to this message);

file.asp

<%=server.mappath("file.asp")%>

and ftp it to the root of your site.

Then hit the file with a browser:

www.yourdomain.com/file.asp

The simply script will return the server path to your file, in my case (on a windows server):

D:\websites\c\clarkhouse.co.uk\htdocs\file.asp

knock off the "file.asp" bit, and put it in your global.inc.php file:

$glob['rootDir' ] = 'D:\websites\c\clarkhouse.co.uk\htdocs\'

You may also find that you need to change the back-slashes (\) to forward slashes (/) in the path.

This should see everything ok. You'll need to remove the install directory before the store is live.

You'll also find that you'll need permissions changed on the uploads and thumbs directory so CC can create your product images - so you will be speaking to your host on monday!

I hope this is of some help,

Jason

Guest hennaboy

Looks like your gonna have to wait and speak to your host. As Jason has mentioned your going to need changes on several folders for your cart to function fully....

If you need to get your cart online now either Jason or myself will be able to help you out - You can PM one us your details so we can do the work... will take minutes

Guest aikdo

you can create install your store via the manual method...

+------------------------------------------------

| 2. Manual Method

+------------------------------------------------

a. Upload all the files and folders to your server from the "Upload" folder.

b. Make sure you have installed a MySQL Database which has a user assigned to it

DO NOT USE YOUR ROOT USERNAME AND ROOT PASSWORD

c. Visit https://www.cubecart.com/build/

This will create two files for you:

1. global.inc.php

2. dump.sql

d. Open includes/global.inc.php and paste in the code created for you. The upload

this over the existing globla.inc.pgp on your server.

e. Create text file called dump.txt and paste in the code created from our site. Rename

this file to dump.sql and it can then be imported into your database using a tool

such as phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net). Please make sure you import the

database into the one specified when you created the dump.

f. Then need to get your host to make the following folders writeable.

images/upload/

images/upload/thumbs/

d. Your store should be installed and fully functional.

Guest valeriejane44

Thank you all, your fab I would love to PM someone and let them do it for me, but wont I have to give you all my private detals to do that, worried about if its safe! !I am having a break now as it really is doing me head in!!! I will try again Sunday, and let you know how I get on. dont hold your breath,!!!!

Thanks

hi

I will step up to the challenge, check my previous posts and post count I am a honest guy i promise ask around if your unsure everybody knows me ;)

Thank you all, your fab I would love to PM someone and let them do it for me, but wont I have to give you all my private detals to do that, worried about if its safe! !I am having a break now as it really is doing me head in!!! I will try again Sunday, and let you know how I get on. dont hold your breath,!!!!

Thanks

Hi,

You will have to give your private details. However, Evilhomer is trustworthy (check his posting history).

I've only been using CC for a few months, and have been using these forums since my 1st install, and have seen him offer the same service to others. He also has his own Store, and a fine reputation to uphold.

You will still require your host to change permissions on your uploads and thumbs directory (and your homepage file), to get your store up and running.

Unless you have a strong need for a Windows server, you should be able to get a good Linux host for the same or most probably less money, and have many more features.

I've got to install CC on a Windows host in a few weeks - but luckily its on a friends server, so I can just wake him up @ 11pm if I need a permission tweak!

I'm sorry you can't get online - I've been there lots of times with hosts.. "yes, we have set-up your database/directory as discussed", only to find they havn't and I'm left with a dud site :-(

Take some comfort in knowing, its not CubeCart - you would have the same problem with most other Carts.

Regards,

Jason

Guest valeriejane44

Thanks for all your help Jason, yes Holmer has offered to help, and how can I refuse an expert!

Holmer I will let you enjoy a quiet evening and pm you all the details tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!

If a windows server is setup correctly then there should be no need for extra permission tweaks :alien:

I'm not sure I understand?

So, if a hosting company creates a directory for the htdocs, and leaves it to the user to upload application "x" - the server will default to allowing write/modify access to these files & directories?

I've used Windows hosting for quite a while, with many different hosts, and apart from the ones that have their own control panel, I had to make a call/put a support request in to modify permissions.

Can you please explain how this should be done? I have to install CC on IIS (on a friends server) in a few weeks - so if there is an easier way to set up the account, I'm all ears.

Jason

Guest aikdo

depending on the server set-up it can/cant become a necesitory for permisions, it is becoming more coman that windows servers require permisions for ovious security resons...

It all lays down to what user level Apache/IIS and PHP are installed at... If they are at a high enough level then they can bipass all read/write rules set by windows but in most cases these days PHP is set up in an acctual user account incase the worst happens and the server gets hacked windows security can then prove to be a final barier...