User/admin manuals?

Guest saturnnights

Guest saturnnights

Hi,

This is my first post here...

I'm currently working with ZenCart - not live yet, but trying to configure it. Honestly, it's really starting to get me down and I'm looking for options (why I'm here now). What I can't find here is a user's manual!?!

How can I get one to look at how this works and how I'd modify/configure it?

Part of what's really irking me with ZenCart is the level of difficulty involved in doing VERY simple modifications to the default templates. It's not bad enough that every mod you make requires creation of a "special" folder to keep the files so that future upgrades don't wipe them out, but there are MANY of these "special" folders all over the place, once you get started down this path.

Secondly, last night I spent four hours trying to add a new link to one of menu boxes (and a new page). I finally downloaded their .zip file containing half a dozen files that had to be scattered to the four winds of my site, along with modifications. Then when I viewed the final result - the link in the menu box displayed a filename rather than a descriptive term. YET... When I looked at the other links in the same php file to which I'd added the one link, they were formatted exactly the same way as mine and exactly the same as specified in the documentation. Meaning? Well, there's another template or css file somewhere controlling the look of this box - but excuse me, I can't find it and nobody (yet) has answered my plea for help in their forums.

Okay, this is pretty much what I've been dealing with for about a week now, and still no live site. Their opening page on their website says that anybody with the most basic pc skills can set up one of the cart systems... Bull... I'm an IT guy with several years experience running dozens of servers in a publishing company - but ZenCart makes less sense than active directory...

With all of that said, how much pain is involved in setting up a CubeCart site? Please be honest here...

Thanks,

Mark

Guest EverythingWeb

I personally dont think you will find anything easier. Honest opinion.

We do a lot of work with CubeCart, including setting up Servers to run CubeCart on, installing CubeCart, Modifying CubeCart, designing CubeCart etc etc etc.

My suggestion: download it, install it (sub-folder or similar) and play with it for a few hours.

You wont be disappointed, and the Search Facility here will provide you with answers to virtually all your questions.

Guest hobsdv

Hi,

This is my first post here...

I'm currently working with ZenCart - not live yet, but trying to configure it. Honestly, it's really starting to get me down and I'm looking for options (why I'm here now). What I can't find here is a user's manual!?!

How can I get one to look at how this works and how I'd modify/configure it?

Part of what's really irking me with ZenCart is the level of difficulty involved in doing VERY simple modifications to the default templates. It's not bad enough that every mod you make requires creation of a "special" folder to keep the files so that future upgrades don't wipe them out, but there are MANY of these "special" folders all over the place, once you get started down this path.

Secondly, last night I spent four hours trying to add a new link to one of menu boxes (and a new page). I finally downloaded their .zip file containing half a dozen files that had to be scattered to the four winds of my site, along with modifications. Then when I viewed the final result - the link in the menu box displayed a filename rather than a descriptive term. YET... When I looked at the other links in the same php file to which I'd added the one link, they were formatted exactly the same way as mine and exactly the same as specified in the documentation. Meaning? Well, there's another template or css file somewhere controlling the look of this box - but excuse me, I can't find it and nobody (yet) has answered my plea for help in their forums.

Okay, this is pretty much what I've been dealing with for about a week now, and still no live site. Their opening page on their website says that anybody with the most basic pc skills can set up one of the cart systems... Bull... I'm an IT guy with several years experience running dozens of servers in a publishing company - but ZenCart makes less sense than active directory...

With all of that said, how much pain is involved in setting up a CubeCart site? Please be honest here...

Thanks,

Mark

you can`t go wrong with cubecart i tried most of the others before finding cc and now i have 2 stores and several more in the pipeline.The forums are great for getting help the mods are so easy to install even my 8 yr old daughter could do it.Don`t delay install today.There are some tutorials available at http:cc3.biz markscarts is one of the best for getting answers

Guest saturnnights

Thanks for all of the input so far...

I've gone ahead and installed it to take a look. So far, so good...

I'm wondering about the license though - looking at the homepage, what exactly is it that purchasing a license will remove? The top left banner and background?

Well, I'm off to figure out how to make a custom page and put it into the sideboxes (and going to find the controls for the sideboxes). It's just sad that I've already spent a week working with ZenCart, only to have to stop dead and start demoing a new product. I feel like I'm using valuable time that should be spend making my product ;)

Stay tuned - I'll be asking more questions :D

Mark

Guest EverythingWeb

Okay, officially the License Key purchase will automatically remove the (powered by CubeCart) line in the Browser title bar and the two lines of CubeCart copyright notices at the very bottom of the page.

It will not automatically remove the cubecart logo as this is to do with your Skin/Template, and there are no restrictions on changing the logo (or entire skin) if you haven't purchased a license.

Officially, there is nothing else you receive apart from the copyright removal, however Helpdesk support is only offered to those who have a license key. So basically without a license key you wont get questions answered on the helpdesk, with it, you will.

The licensing model will be changing quite a bit when the next major release (3.1.0) is made.

Hope this helps on the Licensing questions.

Editted for Licensing clarity.

Guest walmarc

That said, there is nothing stopping you inserting you own contentBg,jpg in skins/(yourskin) e.g.Classic/styleImages/backgrounds/contentBg.jpg......

All you need to do is upload your own logo/backgroung of the same dimensions.

PM me if you are having problems...

;)

Guest saturnnights

Okay, officially the License Key purchase will automatically remove the (powered by CubeCart) line in the Browser title bar and the two lines of CubeCart copyright notices at the very bottom of the page.

It will not automatically remove the cubecart logo as this is to do with your Skin/Template.

Officially, there is nothing else you receive apart from the copyright removal, however Helpdesk support is only offered to those who have a license key. So basically without a license key you wont get questions answered on the helpdesk, with it, you will.

The licensing model will be changing quite a bit when the next major release (3.1.0) is made.

Hope this helps on the Licensing questions.

Thanks - yes, that helps...

Well, I'm working full-time on this over the weekend, so hopefully I'll know very soon whether or not this will work for me.

My next question is where's the best place to find technical info about configuration? I want to add/remove pages and links in the sideboxes first of all. Also, the skin/templates - need to work on those.

Thanks!!!

Mark

Guest EverythingWeb

My suggestion is to test-drive the software, then if you decide its for you, purchase a license key to remove the copyright notices.

Searching the forums is a good place to start for finding answer to various questions.

You want to be logging into the admin screen, and going into SiteDocuments to edit the various Site Document pages.

There are pinned topics in most sub-forums here, which give quick links to various different tutorials and/or questions/answers. The one in relation to Skinning CubeCart, is found in the Skins & Templates Support forum, and the link, for reference is:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=12497

Hope this helps,