man o man do i want this skin!!!

Hi all, i'm a bit new to this all but i'm pretty impressed by the software!! Ok now i'm looking to try and customise my skins and would like some help, bare in mind i haven't the slightest clue where to start!! BUT wats the best way to learn?? You ask and you experiment!!

Ok so i've seen this skin and would like to do mine very similar but have no idea how to go about it!

http://www.themelabs.com/index.php?action=...ctID=87&tfID=91

I would like to do this similar kind of thing with the KILLER skin though!

I have contemplated PAYING for the skin but then wat happens when i decide its time for a new colour change? I then got to go shell out another 40!! So its the only reason why i ask if people can help guide me so i'm free to change designs when i want because i'd have the knowledge to do so!!

Thanks

There are ways of achieving that look obviously. I would start with Legend skin and there is a full screen version of it that costs about $2.00 USD from Markscarts (one of our moderators). As for customizing colors and layout this is all done through css and templates. I agree the best way to learn is through trial and error and there are many here including myself who would be glad to lend a hand if you ask specific questions.

The 'Search' function here at Cube Cart is your biggest ally for there are probably few questions you could ask that haven't been asked and answered. There is a forum for mods (free and paid) at cubecart.org so swing on over there and browse.

Good luck and welcome to Cube Cart.

Guest apple

There are ways of achieving that look obviously. I would start with Legend skin and there is a full screen version of it that costs about $2.00 USD from Markscarts (one of our moderators). As for customizing colors and layout this is all done through css and templates. I agree the best way to learn is through trial and error and there are many here including myself who would be glad to lend a hand if you ask specific questions.

The 'Search' function here at Cube Cart is your biggest ally for there are probably few questions you could ask that haven't been asked and answered. There is a forum for mods (free and paid) at cubecart.org so swing on over there and browse.

Good luck and welcome to Cube Cart.

Guest Brivtech

I was fiddling aroung with CSS all day today - I find the best way to understand what's happening is to open one of the .CSS files, and look for the references in the .TPL files. Dreamweaver is the best tool I have for editing CSS, but to be honest, I HATE CSS! I'm more of a visual person, and as patient as I am, having to save, upload, view everything step by step to make sure that the right effect is being achieved infuriates me!

So, another approach is to take CSS out of the design (Cue bad programming technques), and make new .TPL files that I can see effects being applied, such as heading and page backgrounds, etc.

To integrate CubeCart into a customer's website today, I had to do a bit of both, as CSS only goes so far.

If you're creating something new, CSS works well, if you're trying to wedge CubeCart into an existing complicated layout, then sometimes you have to go back to basics to get the formatting just right.

The Themelabs example shown could be adapted completely through changes in the CSS files, with a bit of patience, and some graphics origination. For graphics, I'm recommending Xara Xtreme (Formerly Corel Xara). It does wonderful work in the bitmap exporting - Try it out and see.

I was fiddling aroung with CSS all day today - I find the best way to understand what's happening is to open one of the .CSS files, and look for the references in the .TPL files. Dreamweaver is the best tool I have for editing CSS, but to be honest, I HATE CSS! I'm more of a visual person, and as patient as I am, having to save, upload, view everything step by step to make sure that the right effect is being achieved infuriates me!

So, another approach is to take CSS out of the design (Cue bad programming technques), and make new .TPL files that I can see effects being applied, such as heading and page backgrounds, etc.

To integrate CubeCart into a customer's website today, I had to do a bit of both, as CSS only goes so far.

If you're creating something new, CSS works well, if you're trying to wedge CubeCart into an existing complicated layout, then sometimes you have to go back to basics to get the formatting just right.

The Themelabs example shown could be adapted completely through changes in the CSS files, with a bit of patience, and some graphics origination. For graphics, I'm recommending Xara Xtreme (Formerly Corel Xara). It does wonderful work in the bitmap exporting - Try it out and see.

You dont have to keep uploading and looking if you run a local apache service on your machine i use this http://www.bizzarserver.com/about.php really easy to install and when you alter a file quick save refresh the browser page and you can see your changes makes skinning a lot faster. you just install cubecart as if it were a web server. because you are now running a webserver locally on your machine and its FREE

Guest Brivtech

You dont have to keep uploading and looking if you run a local apache service on your machine i use this http://www.bizzarserver.com/about.php really easy to install and when you alter a file quick save refresh the browser page and you can see your changes makes skinning a lot faster. you just install cubecart as if it were a web server. because you are now running a webserver locally on your machine and its FREE

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. :)