CSS and Internet Xplorer Could not view my page

Guest alexbeloved

Guest alexbeloved

Some internet explorer could not view my home page correctly. The page will get scartered in some browser and view correctly in some other browser, someone who told me that the problem is from the CSS version which was used in developing the cart, he said that the CSS is not compactible with some internet xplorer and systems. Can any one help me?

Guest alexbeloved

Link?

The Site Link is www.buskymerchant.com, i also want to customise the "Product Category" to look like www.amazone.com, I am grateful for your anticipated assistance.

Your site looks fine in IE6. Because you have an XHTML DOCTYPE at the top IE6 runs in Standards mode, so it renders objects pretty much just like any other DOM browser. The vast majority of IE users have now upgraded to version 6, so you're in pretty good shape.

However I'm sure that IE5.5 and earlier versions do scramble up your layout a bit. That's because they have a non-standard box model which essentially includes margin, padding, and border measurements in the overall object height and width. So this makes any layout that is planned to the pixel go all haywire.

If you search for "box model hack" you will find a gazillion methods for dealing with this. The basic trick is to include some broken CSS code in your stylesheets that IE5.5 and lower will read anyway (but other browsers ignore). I use a very simple hack that looks like this:

#content {

width:500px !important;

width /**/:550px;

height:330px !important;

height /**/:380px;

margin:10px 30px 40px 20px;

}

The first width and height declarations are used by standards-compliant browsers, while the second is only read by old IE (Windows).

There are many other ways to do this (including PHP-scripted CSS and IE conditional comments), so choose whatever one you feel comfortable with and works for your purposes.

Guest alexbeloved

I am glad you are able to assist me, I have edited the CSS with your instructions though I am yet to run the test in other systems and IE5.5

Please I need further assistance in the product category. I want the product category to look this way

Electronics

hify systems

televisions

refrigerators

airconditioners

music systems

Computers and Accessories

monitors

laptops

desktops

servers

keyboards

Food Items

milks

rices

custards

beans

drinks

I hope you undestand what I am trying to illustrate, just like www.amazon.com

You can also mail me direct through [email protected]

Thank you for anticipated further assistance.

Alex

I think I understand what you want to do. You want to show subcategories in the list to the left on all your pages. You can do this, but you need to modify includes/boxes/categories.inc.php and the corresponding skin file.

I haven't done this myself, but I have done something similar in the category list pages (I show products from that category's subcategories). You should be familiar with PHP coding to attempt this, or look for a mod on cubecart.org (there may already be one). If you keep backups of the files you change, the worst that can happen is that you temporarily make a mess of your list.

Basically what you need to do is to nest another loop within the category display loop in categories.inc.php. You'll also need to make another query to the database for each category to get information on its subcategories (where their parent id equals that category). And lastly you need to add a section to your category list template (skins/your skin/styleTemplates/boxes/categories.tpl) to display the results (also nested within the category display (li) loop).

I don't have time to code and test this today, so if you're not sure how to go about it on your own then look on cubecart.org to see if there's a mod that will do this for you.

The way that I outline for doing this is not the most efficient method (it makes a database query for each category), but it would be the easiest to implement. A better way would be to query the database once, get all the category information you need then, and then order it in an array for displaying. That involves a fundamental change in the structure of the code, though, so it would require more effort and testing.