Help!!!!! I don't know how to do this?

Guest marline

Guest marline

What do I do? When I log in to MySQL and look in the data base I created it showes 28 files, what im I suppose to do with them? Any help would be great!

What do I do? When I log in to MySQL and look in the data base I created it showes 28 files, what im I suppose to do with them? Any help would be great!
Don't panic. It is where Cube Cart stores all the details of your online shopping cart, such as products, prices, customers, etc.

The database would have been created one of two ways:

1) if you installed CubeCart using Fantastico, a bundle of various programs together with an automatic installer provided by your hosting service, you can now simply ignore the data base.

2) if you are installing CubeCart "manually" (the better way by far) you probably created the database as part of the step-by-step installation process. You will need to know such things as the db name, your db user name and passwrod, as well as a user name and password for administrating the CubeCart.

So, what is the situation now? Is your installation complete or, if not, at which step are you?

Guest marline

Don't panic. It is where Cube Cart stores all the details of your online shopping cart, such as products, prices, customers, etc.

The database would have been created one of two ways:

1) if you installed CubeCart using Fantastico, a bundle of various programs together with an automatic installer provided by your hosting service, you can now simply ignore the data base.

2) if you are installing CubeCart "manually" (the better way by far) you probably created the database as part of the step-by-step installation process. You will need to know such things as the db name, your db user name and passwrod, as well as a user name and password for administrating the CubeCart.

So, what is the situation now? Is your installation complete or, if not, at which step are you?

I'm trying to get it installed, I know my user name etc, my web address is peabodysairbrush.com/peastore

I just don't know what to do next?

Guest marline

OK, let's go to the basics.

Have you uploaded the CubeCart files to the root directory of your web site?

yes, I also made a data base in MySQl and named it peastore, when I go to peabodysairbrush.com/peastore it opens php login window I enter my name & password, I click on my data base and that is wher I see the (28) next to my data base name, from there I'm lost, I think I went to step 3, then I went to do a manual install, instead because I was gettin an error, and copied the info from note pad to mysql.

yes, I also made a data base in MySQl and named it peastore, when I go to peabodysairbrush.com/peastore it opens php login window I enter my name & password, I click on my data base and that is wher I see the (28) next to my data base name, from there I'm lost, I think I went to step 3, then I went to do a manual install, instead because I was gettin an error, and copied the info from note pad to mysql.
That's info overload for me. I can only take one step at a time.

Let's do the next step.

Have you gone to htp://peabodysairbrush.com/peastore/install/ ?

I just did, and as far as I can see, you have not done that step. Tell if you have, yes or no?

Guest marline

That's info overload for me. I can only take one step at a time.

Let's do the next step.

Have you gone to htp://peabodysairbrush.com/peastore/install/ ?

I just did, and as far as I can see, you have not done that step. Tell if you have, yes or no?

I'm sorry, no I have not

Guest marline

OK, stop right here and we'll do a few sanity checks before you proceed, OK?

I see you are no longer online in the forums so I guess you've gone ahead.

I'm off to bed.

Best of luck . . .

I'm sorry I have a 3 year old and I had to reset his video game, that stupid play station acts up sometimes, sorry, I hope your still there?

OK, stop right here and we'll do a few sanity checks before you proceed, OK?

I see you are no longer online in the forums so I guess you've gone ahead.

I'm off to bed.

Best of luck . . .

I'm sorry I have a 3 year old and I had to reset his video game, that stupid play station acts up sometimes, sorry, I hope your still there?

I guess he went to sleep, can any one start up where he left off at, I did the next step, install and if said I needed to change my permissions to 644 not 777 in includes I think? If I gone a min. it's because of my son, and I need to download a ftp program, my has expired!

Be back in a min. or so.

Before doing anything else, think about this question. There is no wrong answer but you may be happier with your store if you make an informed decision:

Question

Why are you installing the store in a separate directory? Putting it in a directory called peastore means that you must either have a splash page - which is not always the right thing - or your customers must know that full address including th directory (www.peabodysairbrush.com/peastore).

If you want a splash page for some valid, well-considered reason, that's great. But I have yet to see a successful online store that uses one.

So if you decide you want that structure, let me know and we'll go ahead from there.

But if you decide you want customers to "walk right in" to your store, you should delete the upload files and then re-up them to the root of the server.

Once you are back at that point, there are excellent tutorials on the CC web site at:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/tutorials/

You can also get there and see all the tutorials by clicking on Support in the upper part of thew CC forum screen.

Basically, that first one will tell you to upload to the directory or choice (root or your peastore) and then they take you through the installation. Have sound turned on.

I didn't actually go to bed. I staretd flipping tv channels between reruns, from Sinefeld to Sex and the City, then back again. They blend together quite well.

I'll be up for another little while but I think you'll be ok. If I don't answer you, there are those more expert than me lurking in the pixel-bushes.

Best of luck . . . and a hug to the 3 year old.

The best FTP porgram is WS_FTP.com from www.ipswitch.com. It will expire after 30 days unless you pay for it.

Second best, IMHO, is from www.smartftp.com. It will not expire at the end of 30 days but will therafter nag you when you use it in unpaid mode. I switched to and paid up for WS_FTP because it holds and/or reestablishes connections better than any.

After you get your cart up and want to do some skin customizing, you'll want an excellent free editor called PHPdesigner. It can be configured to edit PHP, HTML, XHTML, TPL and other common file types. It's not hard to learn. I just celebrated my 73rd birthday yesterday and figured out a lot of it myself - and the folks here in the CC forums are generally very supportive and tolerant of my dumb questions.

Joe

Guest marline

Before doing anything else, think about this question. There is no wrong answer but you may be happier with your store if you make an informed decision:

Question

Why are you installing the store in a separate directory? Putting it in a directory called peastore means that you must either have a splash page - which is not always the right thing - or your customers must know that full address including th directory (www.peabodysairbrush.com/peastore).

If you want a splash page for some valid, well-considered reason, that's great. But I have yet to see a successful online store that uses one.

So if you decide you want that structure, let me know and we'll go ahead from there.

But if you decide you want customers to "walk right in" to your store, you should delete the upload files and then re-up them to the root of the server.

Once you are back at that point, there are excellent tutorials on the CC web site at:

http://www.cubecart.com/site/tutorials/

You can also get there and see all the tutorials by clicking on Support in the upper part of thew CC forum screen.

Basically, that first one will tell you to upload to the directory or choice (root or your peastore) and then they take you through the installation. Have sound turned on.

I didn't actually go to bed. I staretd flipping tv channels between reruns, from Sinefeld to Sex and the City, then back again. They blend together quite well.

I'll be up for another little while but I think you'll be ok. If I don't answer you, there are those more expert than me lurking in the pixel-bushes.

Best of luck . . . and a hug to the 3 year old.

Well I guess I install it that way because I have 2 parts to my business, airbrush store and a candle/gift shop, so you enter a peabodysairbrush, then go to either airbrush ordervpages or candle pages, I figured I could prob. put a link to the store page. Would that work?

I changed the includes/? iforgot the name now, to 644, like it said in the install, I haven't checked it yet, though, I'm gonna try now!

I'm kinda olde-fashioned. I would put up two different stores at two totally different domain names.

The comedian Bob Newhart made an insightful comment on his first album. He spoke of a really low fare airline called "The Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company."

His point was, you would not put much faith in either because they were trying to do too many things on the same dime.

But that's your call. One of the pleasures of running your own business is you can make your own decisions.

If you do want to go the route of one domain, a splash page and links to two businesses, there is a way to install two CC stores that run off the single common database. I've seen discussion of it and as I recall it is something that would have to be prepared for at the time you create the database. I'd post that as a question in the installation forum and I'm sure someone there can help you.

And now I am going to follow the example of the 3 year old. It's almost Midnight here in New York. I'm definitely off to bed now.

No need to tuck me in. I do that quite well myself without help, thank you.

The tutorials are pretty good. Also, do searches on keywords here in the forums. If someone else doesn't pick up this thread before I'm up again, I'll see it then.

G'nite and best of luck to you . . .

Guest marline

I'm kinda olde-fashioned. I would put up two different stores at two totally different domain names.

The comedian Bob Newhart made an insightful comment on his first album. He spoke of a really low fare airline called "The Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company."

His point was, you would not put much faith in either because they were trying to do too many things on the same dime.

But that's your call. One of the pleasures of running your own business is you can make your own decisions.

If you do want to go the route of one domain, a splash page and links to two businesses, there is a way to install two CC stores that run off the single common database. I've seen discussion of it and as I recall it is something that would have to be prepared for at the time you create the database. I'd post that as a question in the installation forum and I'm sure someone there can help you.

And now I am going to follow the example of the 3 year old. It's almost Midnight here in New York. I'm definitely off to bed now.

No need to tuck me in. I do that quite well myself without help, thank you.

The tutorials are pretty good. Also, do searches on keywords here in the forums. If someone else doesn't pick up this thread before I'm up again, I'll see it then.

G'nite and best of luck to you . . .

Thank you for your help, have a good nites rest!

If you read this tomorrow, I own an airbrush/gift shop, its all one business under the same roof, I just have personalization to deal with with the airbrush side of our business, and a simple pay pal cart does not get the job done! I'm still not sure if I can link from my main page to my shopping cart? Do you have any idea if it has been done or not? Thanks & talk to you tomorrow!

Also I did the install part, it got to setting permissions on includes/global.ins.php to 644, it showed it correct on install, but it would not go any futher.

this is what it said:

The config file could not be written.

Step 4 out of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Step 4 - Set Back File Permissions

Please make sure the following file permissions are set back correctly:

File / Folder Current Permission Required Permission

includes/global.inc.php 0644 0644

Please ensure the file permission are set correctly to continue.

If you read this tomorrow, I own an airbrush/gift shop, its all one business under the same roof, I just have personalization to deal with with the airbrush side of our business, and a simple pay pal cart does not get the job done! I'm still not sure if I can link from my main page to my shopping cart? Do you have any idea if it has been done or not? Thanks & talk to you tomorrow!

Also I did the install part, it got to setting permissions on includes/global.ins.php to 644, it showed it correct on install, but it would not go any futher.

this is what it said:

I'm not sure what your PayPal issue is. CC integrates well with the various versions of PayPal. The choices are are just not well explained either here in CC or by PayPal. Can you clarify?

As for getting stuck at Step 4, have you gone to the file in the server and changed its permission?

Also, after the 5 steps are done and the system says your installation is complete, there actually is one more step before you can open the store and the Admin Control Panel. As a security measure, delete the folder "install." Until you do, the system will not let you go forward.

You'll encounter the need to change certain file permisssions when you are working in the Admin CP. At that time, you'll see a bright pink error box telling you what to to.

Good luck !

Guest marline

this is what it said:

I'm not sure what your PayPal issue is. CC integrates well with the various versions of PayPal. The choices are are just not well explained either here in CC or by PayPal. Can you clarify?

As for getting stuck at Step 4, have you gone to the file in the server and changed its permission?

Also, after the 5 steps are done and the system says your installation is complete, there actually is one more step before you can open the store and the Admin Control Panel. As a security measure, delete the folder "install." Until you do, the system will not let you go forward.

You'll encounter the need to change certain file permisssions when you are working in the Admin CP. At that time, you'll see a bright pink error box telling you what to to.

Good luck !

Yes, I changed permissions everywhere, still no luck, I ended up tryin a manual install, I then deleted the install file, I see 28 files in MySQL, does anyone know what I'm need to do next, I go to peabodysairbrush.com/peastore/ and it starts up MySQl program I log in abd click on my data base that has 28 files in it, but I do not know what to do next?