PayPal Chargeback experiences?

aris1234

Has anyone had any chargeback experiences with PayPal using them as a gateway from CubeCart?

I had a quick chat (via e-mail) with their support people - it would seem that for all transactions (even for unconfirmed addresses), they do CVV2 and AVS checking - if either of these checks fail, then the transaction is declined.

CVV2 is that 3 (or 4 in the case of Amex) digit number on the back of the card, and AVS is a system where they check part of the cardholders address against what they entered as their billing address.

So, in theory at least, if you ship recorded delivery to the billing address, this should not be a fraudulent transaction.

Has anyone here had any chargeback experiences with paypal they would care to share?

Guest jeromas

Has anyone had any chargeback experiences with PayPal using them as a gateway from CubeCart?

I had a quick chat (via e-mail) with their support people - it would seem that for all transactions (even for unconfirmed addresses), they do CVV2 and AVS checking - if either of these checks fail, then the transaction is declined.

CVV2 is that 3 (or 4 in the case of Amex) digit number on the back of the card, and AVS is a system where they check part of the cardholders address against what they entered as their billing address.

So, in theory at least, if you ship recorded delivery to the billing address, this should not be a fraudulent transaction.

Has anyone here had any chargeback experiences with paypal they would care to share?

I've never had a chargeback experience in over 150 orders with PayPal. I have had a few credit card orders fail due to the CVV2/AVS checking not going through, which is ok with me. I'd rather head trouble off at the pass rather than (maybe) make a few extra dollars.

How do you know if CVV2/AVS fails? The only thing I get from paypal is a confirmed or unconfirmed address - which I understand from PayPal means if it is unconfirmed, that AVS failed either because their issuing bank did not support it - or they entered a different address to their billing address during checkout.

Are you using PayPal IPN?