db import totally destroyed the store

I gave up trying to find anyone who would help me import the old database into the new intallation - and I did exactly what I knew I would wind up doing.

See the results here www.vikolya.com

When the client sees it, she will find herself another store builder.

Me, I'm going to pull the covers over my head and think of England.

Guest walmarc

I gave up trying to find anyone who would help me import the old database into the new intallation - and I did exactly what I knew I would wind up doing.

See the results here www.vikolya.com

When the client sees it, she will find herself another store builder.

Me, I'm going to pull the covers over my head and think of England.

The words "backup & restore" come to mind....... :w00t:

I must have missed your call for help M8. Any backups of the old store?
I have one on my HD and I've just put in a ticket for my server support to make sure they hold the backup that would have been made earlier this morning.

You missed the calls because I have been making PM requests for the past two-plus weeks, complete with offers to pay, but no one seems to have understood the urgency.

I am now looking around here for a cigarette and blindfold as the proper costume for the traditional ceremony at dawn.

When the sun comes up here in the New York Area, my client will see that the freshly edited tables for the _inventory and _categories and _customers have not only not been imported - but the store is now a mess thanks to my atempt to do it myself.

Restoring the store alone to its condition as of a few hours ago does not satisfy the client's long overdue desire to see the new products, etc.

Guest gwizard

Looks like the db import has a missing ' somewhere near the last cat displayed.

Just go over it, fix it and then drop the categories table and reimport it.

Sorry Joe, I had a friend pass away at about the time you were asking for help. Kinda set my whole world on its ear for a while.

If you get too stuck and Rob can't help you out, gimme a shout.

:)

Sorry Joe, I had a friend pass away at about the time you were asking for help. Kinda set my whole world on its ear for a while.

If you get too stuck and Rob can't help you out, gimme a shout.

:unsure:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I knew something serious had happened because you were off the board for a very long time. I hope you are feeling better.

No one was able to help so I invented a new way of importing tables from one Db to another. OK, maybe it's not new. But it sort of worked, which means, it also sort of didn't.

I managed to import the tables I wanted (inventory, customers, orders, categories) - and they seem to be OK. I had a few problems with getting product and category photos to display. I was able to fix those manually.

But there is one phenomenon reminiscent of the Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes. Products have multiplied. They repeat. A category that should have 4 products has 8, 4 of them dupes of the first 4. This is true in all categories.

In an email today, Brooky says I probably have screwed up the CubeCart_cats_idx and comments "To be honest you have a very difficult job here. I don't know how you have got to where you have got at the moment."

Somehow, I'm proud of that. I've stumped Brooky. I don't know that any other CC user has ever done that. However, my tears of continuing frustration belie my smile of triumph.

In the process of taking this watch apart and putting it back together, I have no pieces left over, but I think at least one of them, that pesky little insignificant IDX thingie, has been re-installed upside down - and backwards, too. I was hoping no one would notice. After all, it's one of the smaller files so what should it matter if its hat is on crooked and it drools a little? I mean, look how far stupidity has gotten George Bush.

But I digress . . .

Another clue that Brooky is right is that the Shop By Category menu works fine but the hypertext links on the home page for those same items is messed up, sending clicks to different categories than the same item in the menu. By rolling the cursor over a category in the menu, I get one ID as the link - and rolling over the same item in the home page, I get another.

I can fix that manually too. The duplicated products are a more vexing issue. And I shudder to think what all that will do to checking out an order. I haven't dared look there, yet.

So, Brooky is right. I've whacked the poor little IDX. It's as confused as a virgin after three martinis.

The challenge now is to fix it. Would that the cure for its confusion is as simple and mutually pleasurable as the one I would suggest for our little virgin.

If you want to take a look (at the IDX, the IDX - you D.O.M.) you have the access codes in a recent PM or - ask and I'll resend them.

Please take a lookie?

TIA

EDIT: I did manual fix on the Home Page links. Still need help with the Products. The virgin sobered up and went home.

UPDATE: I've exported the cat_idx as an Excel file. It has three columns. I sorted it on the column ID and note that every item has a duplicate entry. I'm going to manually delete each duplicate and re-import back into the Db. Should be interesting, no?

MORE UPDATE: When I was about to re-import the edited file back into the Db, I discovered that phpMYadmin allows for sort of data. So I did the same sort in the Db file and then was able to do a quick delete of each of the dupes. It worked. The dupes are gone from the store.

As for what fresh hell may yet wait due to whatever else I've screwed up, we'll see.

One more thing I need to fix. (I'm getting very daring- which is not a good sign). In the process of all this, the TPL mod that you so kindly installed - the one that causes Product Description to display to the right of the image, rather than below - got lost or overwritten. I'm going to FTP it back into place.