order fills in a printable fax form? possible?

jerseyjoe

I had a good meeting today with a prospective CubeCart client. He's asked for something I've never seen discussed here - but one that seems pretty simple. I'm here asking just in case there are issues I have not considered.

He wants orders to become a filled-in faxable form that would include both the order details as well as his credit card info. The customer would printout the completed form and fax it. As an alternative, if his customer's computer has the ability to fax directly from the computer, he wants offer that as an option to the print out.

As I see it, the fax form only needs be an edit of the mailable printable form that now exists . . . right?

As for offering a choice between print / fax or direct fax, insight into relevant issues that should be considered would be welcome.

This is a pizza shop that does a lot of catering into large office buildings in his area. In addition to pizzas he does a lot of platters, coffee setups for meetings, party spreads, salads, etc. The cart would not need a shipping module or payment gateway.

Guest vrakas

The major problem i see is the credit card details, for security reasons you not allowed to have any copy of it on your server.

In order to get the form having these details they must be saved on the server, you see where i am getting at ;)

The print form itself can be edited to include more details you might need.

If someone else can fill in the parts i have left out it would help to complete the answer or has a solution (mod) for this. :)

The major problem i see is the credit card details, for security reasons you not allowed to have any copy of it on your server.
Yes, I was thinking about that. I guess the solution is to provide blank fields on the printed form and tell the end customer to fill them in by hand before faxing.

Thanks for the response.

Anyone else?

Guest Brivtech

I had a good meeting today with a prospective CubeCart client. He's asked for something I've never seen discussed here - but one that seems pretty simple. I'm here asking just in case there are issues I have not considered.

He wants orders to become a filled-in faxable form that would include both the order details as well as his credit card info. The customer would printout the completed form and fax it. As an alternative, if his customer's computer has the ability to fax directly from the computer, he wants offer that as an option to the print out.

As I see it, the fax form only needs be an edit of the mailable printable form that now exists . . . right?

As for offering a choice between print / fax or direct fax, insight into relevant issues that should be considered would be welcome.

This is a pizza shop that does a lot of catering into large office buildings in his area. In addition to pizzas he does a lot of platters, coffee setups for meetings, party spreads, salads, etc. The cart would not need a shipping module or payment gateway.

If the customer's computer can send faxes, chances are that the fax has been set up like a printer, so if he prints it to fax, it'll be like printing it on a sheet of paper and faxing it.

We had a case where a customer wanted to run a promotion for their shop. They didn't have a computer at the shop (just at home), so wanted to take advantage of their fax machine (One of these where you can view the fax on a display screen before you print it out - I think Amstrad made it, can't be sure now). Anyone who went to their website could fill in a promotion information request form, and the system would automatically generate a fax using our fax through email service. The customer was able to send out promotional packs from the fax information. This application could easily work with a store like you describe.

As a further alternative, consider email to SMS. Every time a request is made on the shop, the customer receives a text message with the details. An easy way of setting this up is to get a mobile phone email address from your provider (I know you can get this from Vodafone and 3), and when the email is generated, it comes through to your phone automatically. No need for special SMS gateways.

Uhh, who says that you can't store credit card info on the server?

How else do places like Amazon.com store your credit card data in a user's profile?

I think you have some facts confused.

Guest Brenty

Uhh, who says that you can't store credit card info on the server?

How else do places like Amazon.com store your credit card data in a user's profile?

I think you have some facts confused.

Perhaps it's because the credit card companies don't mind the likes of Amazon storing details because they are secure, whereas A. Unknown may not have sufficient security covering the card details.

That said, I haven't ever come across this actually being the case before, If a shop can store credit card numbers on transaction slips in a draw under the till, I'm sure storing them o a secure server may be equally secure (or not). i know that there have actually been cases where large organisations have been hacked, and credit card companies have re-issued new cards en-mass because of the security problems.