Pros and cons of using product options!

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

Product options are a wonderful thing, allowing you to sell a product, and having it adapted to countless possibilities. Not only does CubeCart have this functionality, BUT it also lets you adjust the price depending on the option!

But use your options carefully!

I just finished programming a customer's site that featured products in a range of different colours, and 2 different sizes. At first glance, it seemed like product options were the ideal solution, I could even adjust the price for the second size...

- After careful investigation and some trials of ordering using the options, it seems that the ideal solution was NOT to use the options.

Confused? Well, instead of having 1 item - with product options for colour and size, it was better to display all the combinations of colour and size, for the reason that a customer buying from this particular website would be ordering many of the different items. Having to go through and click to get a combination, and repeat the process for each variation was actually quite intensive.

Looking through some of the CubeCart sites featured on here, I think there could be a few instances where perhaps categories should not have been used in favour of simple sub-categories. I think a general rule could apply:

If a customer is likely to purchase lots of different items, and the option range is not too long winded, don't use Options.