Why must the customer register?

Is there a way to disable it?

or is it a good idea that they do register? I am worried that they'll hit the back button if they have to register.

Actually, CubeCart DOES allow the registration to happen during checkout.

If a customer proceeds with the checkout and are not logged in, then CubeCart presents a "login or register" page, where the customer then has to register before finishing the checkout process.

Guest sparkdigital

Following this post, is it possible to just have a tick box saying 'Remember me' rather than a password? I've found most people won't remember their password anyway...

Thanks,

Konrad

Guest loren antolik

i don't know where you get your info from but most people do remember there passwords. i really don't know anywhere that you can buy stuff off the internet and not fill out all the basic info that a registration requires of you.

Guest shereen

actually, i think some people are overlooking something here. i have made tons of on-line purchases and i have not had to register my profile--maybe once w/the online post office service. it's always been voluntary to "register" my profile w/commercial sites (where the e-store will actually remember your info) and i usually choose not to provide that info permanently. i just make and complete my purchases as a guest. this entails filling out all the pertinent info needed for the sale (ie, billing address, delivery address, etc), but it means doing it manually each and every single time i want to purchase something even from the same e-store. i'd rather personally do that than have my info stored somewhere. so, i can understand the original posted query.

i, too, have wondered about this cubecart registration feature and i initially did not like it, but i wonder if it does help the merchant in cutting down fraud...????

if there is a way to make it optional, personally i'd like to offer it as an option to my customers instead.

--s--

Guest megagente

To tell you the truth if you are as famous as Amazon, CompUSA, Circuit City or the other big ones, Signup will not stop your customers. But if you are a beginner, signup will drop a lot of customers.

I was able to make the signup optional on my shopping cart just a few months ago with Oscommerce, not Cubecart (sorry) because resently the mod at last was working better than before. Check the page if you want. megagente.com

Guest sparkdigital

I agree with Shereen and megagente, I'm not a great believer in registering, I'd rather be a guest (except for ebay etc) when making a purchase.

Has anyone found which one works best? What are the advantages / disadvantages of them?

I've built sites using eCommerceTemplates and this one offers the option to remember the user (using a cookie) so the next time the form will be filled out automatically. Maybe this is the happy medium?

Konrad

Guest megagente

Let me explain how the script basically works in Oscommerce and maybe to be applied to Cubecart.

First the customer when is going to checkout he gets 3 options:

1. Proceed Directly to Checkout

2. New Customer

3. Returning Customer.

If you Proceed Directly to Checkout, it takes you to the Billing Information page (name, email, address, etc.) then press continue. Just when pressing continue, the billing information of the customer is stored on the database and no username or password is assigned to the customer. Also in the administration control panel you can see the customer in the Customer section. In other words that customer is not registering is only ordering. Later the customer fills out Delivery and shipping options as always.

At the end the customer press order confirmation and that´s it. No username and password is given to the customer. He or she receives an email confirmation as other stores do. Go to the administration and now the customer is on the Orders section only and you can check what he bought, the shipping, billing and the other stuff you see in any normal order.

I hope it was usefull to you and someone with good programming can implement this on Cubecart.

• 4 months later...
Guest Angelina

I hope so too, it's been months since last post and from what I can work out, there still isn't an apropriate mod. Express Checkout is supposed to sort of do the trick, but I can't find out whether it is compatible with CC3.012, so I'm not going to spend money on it until I know for sure.

I'm also very reluctant about running my shop with registration mandatory, as it will cost me customers for sure which is what I can't have with a beginning shop. when I bump into a shop where I have to register, I'm off to find another one.

You also don't show your passport and register in a "real" shop! Just imagine having to do so, who would go there to shop unless it was really outrageously cheap?

Personally I might even swap carts as I don't think Zencart has this b*ll*x, which would be a shame as I almost finished my shop in CC.

Well, enough bitching, I hope someone will reply to my question about express checkout mod.

Angelina

• 1 month later...
Guest rdwilder

I agree that this is a necessary mod. I have statistics showing over 20% of my new Guest users have exited the site on the "Registration" page. This tells me that they'd rather go somewhere else than risk having their personal information stored permanently. Losing that much business is never good.

Thanks to all the good ideas on how to mod the program to skip the registration. I am going to try some of these and, when I have a working mod, I will definitely post it.

Guest ColeFlournoy

Humm, I am pretty sure their is a mod that allready does this -- as I remember reading about it last year (but no telling if it will work with 3.0.12)... But it would be a great feature to have and would make your store more professional looking to the end user.

But just for the record -- even though stores that don't require registering may seem to the user that they are not keeping their information -- they almost undoubtly are storing it. If they didn't keep your information b/c you didn't register, how would they ever contact you if there was any problem, such as the product you ordered became out of stock. But still, what really matters is what the customer precieves, not actually what really happens.

Guest valencia

Surprisingly, even to me, most of my cusomers CHOOSE to register. I runa tangible goods store so at least in terms of shipping I must collect info.

I give customers the option to use express checkout, but at least 60-65% choose to register, even when if they do not complete the purchase.

The express mod works well and also stores the info as you CANNOT ship without the requisite info that is necessary to register anyways.

I understand that it is a matter of perception, but I have discovered that I have to register on quite a few sites and if your customer wants your product they will register to buy.

If you have repeat customers, which is what you want to encourage, they love the fact that their info is already stored and speeds up checkout.

There is no need to give up on Cubecart, simply use the mod and get selling. I am sure if you email the mod owner he will be happy to respond.

• 3 months later...
Guest techbuzz

I have a store based on litecommerce (trying cubecart for a new store, but may have to abandon that effort given things like this required registration 'feature') and registering is optional. About 50/50 choose to register or just proceed directly to checkout. The password option in my other store is presented as optional with a comment to the effect of: "if you would like log in later to view the status of your order, please choose a password"

Personally, I've shopped at many, many small online shops that do not require a password and I'm happy with that. Especially with stores where you might make one quick small purchase a year, or just once ever.... like a unique t-shirt store. For t-shirts, I love the checkout process at www.bustedtees.com - single page, originally built on a heavily modified oscommerce, but not sure if that's still the case.

This is a very good topic!

I believe both sides have its advantages and disadvantages...

Is there a way to do both?

Maybe have some register... and have others just simply go straight to an info page to enter and checkout?

This way... Long time customers can reep the benefits of membership and mailing lists of coupons, etc.... But if average joe just wants to come in and make a one time quick purchase.. He does not have to go through the process of registering..

As a seller I would rather have them register... But as a buyer... Most the time I rather not register.. Because when you register you usually get placed on mailing lists etc that clutter your email.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest getsiriusweb.net

I am making a store that sells digital images, payment via standard paypal. The only thing I need from the customer is their e-mail address - a name might be ok but is not really needed. If there is a way to set things to sell without registration, or with a name/email only registration, it would help me very much!

I have heard on cubecart.org that there is a mod called "Faster Registration" but the link on the download page seems to be broken.

Anyone have this Faster Registration mod that they might post or mail to me?

I am making a store that sells digital images, payment via standard paypal. The only thing I need from the customer is their e-mail address - a name might be ok but is not really needed. If there is a way to set things to sell without registration, or with a name/email only registration, it would help me very much!

I have heard on cubecart.org that there is a mod called "Faster Registration" but the link on the download page seems to be broken.

Anyone have this Faster Registration mod that they might post or mail to me?

I too would like the Faster Registration mod.

However, there is an Express Checkout Mod (£18) which allows people to register with only name and email.

I can recommend the Express Checkout Mod. Visit .org and there is an active thread under the commercial mods.

The mod removes the need to supply a password, and coupled with a few other free mods, the checkout process becomes very streamlined.

Jason

Guest ladyabbie

I just purchased Express Checkout and will hopefully be installing it this weekend. I hope it makes a difference as I seem to get a lot of traffic but not so many purchases. Someone who's been running an on-line business for a few years told me to get rid of the registration, I will be keeping it but want the express option as well.

Anyway, Jason I wanted to ask you what free mods you found helpful to work with the express checkout mod. I'd appreciate your sharing that information if you feel comfortable doing so.

Thank you,

Erin