Is this illegal

Guest cntgifts

Guest cntgifts

ok i run a wholesale site i want to offer a service where members can sign up for my service and i will supply them with a preloaded cubecart and maybe keep there inventory uo to date for them

Would it be ok to use cubecart like this as i wouldnt be selling the software i would just be using it and selling my services

If this is illegal can anyone point me to a different cart i may be abel to do this with

Guest EverythingWeb

This is fine, as long as Copyright notices in the source remains in tact, and you do not rebrand the card such as "Super Duper Cart by XXX".

We, as a web-management company do this for an ever-increasing number of people.

Guest cntgifts

This is fine, as long as Copyright notices in the source remains in tact, and you do not rebrand the card such as "Super Duper Cart by XXX".

We, as a web-management company do this for an ever-increasing number of people.

ok thanks i will not be rebranding it and selling it as my own software

Alot of people dont know how to set up websites or how t oget on the net so i would be provinding my c ustomers with an easy way to get online

And will let them know they can buy the license to remove t he copywrite info

Guest cntgifts

well yeah lol where else would i get it

also is there anyway possible to have like a master db where like if i set up a cart on my ownserver and db and updated the inventory on that one store all stores inventroy would update

Guest cntgifts

ok cool i got it

is there anyway possible to have like a master db where like if i set up a cart on my ownserver and db and updated the inventory on that one store all stores inventroy would update

Why would there be a need to download it each and every time? If it were me, I'd install a complete store and populate it on a dummy domain/subdomain. Then when a sold a new one, I'd copy all the files to the new domain using the cp -Rp to copy recursively and preserve all permissions. Then I'd replicate the pristine database under a new name, setup a MySQL user for it, then change the global.inc.php file accordingly. Voila. Done. I could setup a new store that way in 10-15 minutes over and over and over.

Just another man's take on it. The nice thing about that is that you could include any free mods you like that way as well -- SEO, etc.

:errm:

Guest cntgifts

yeah thats what i was planning on doing very simple would be even better if there was a way to master control the inventory

and it offers a kind of tracking thingy me bob to see how many people downloaded the software.

Also you cannot include any free software without contacting the mod author first as you will be using there free mod to profit from.

Just a simple polite email will do the trick :errm:

Guest Brivtech

Why would there be a need to download it each and every time? :errm:

Because somewhere in Brooky's rules it states it must be downloaded from this server and not offered by you :D

You're right, but that refers to something else:

You can't offer a system for people to download from your own site, whether its free, or commercial, for example, these would NOT be allowed:

- Download SuperDuperCart from us, HERE

- Download CubeCart from us, HERE

This helps dissolve Brooky from liabilities arising from maliscious hacking of the code, or fraudulent activities regarding sites pretending to be CubeCart. Don't forget, although the code is provided free (With further licensing as an optional extra), it is not open source or public domain.

You can't rebrand CubeCart as your own system (I think we've all got this point by now), however, it can be a component of a branded system, so long as it is correctly credited when listing appropriate features. Copyrights on screen can be removed (If licensed), including the shop front and admin areas. Copyrights MUST always remain in the source code, and also in the generated code that may not be visible onscreen.

You can however, pre-install CubeCart on behalf of a customer, so as part of a package where you are providing a service, of which CubeCart forms part, there would be no requirement to force your customer to firstly download a copy of CubeCart from CubeCart.com.

Your last paragraph is precisely what I was talking about Brivtech. That was my understanding of what he was asking (he also asked me privately).

I have a project which does exactly that sort of thing. I buy licenses from Brooky as needed, but I just duplicate my current install because I have tweaked the living daylights out of it. I have a customized backend with features added for my task. Brooky has seen it and approved so long as each copy is licensed. No problem to me. :lol:

Yes but that is a one on one agreement between you and Al we also set up the same at the mod shop where you could say modded stores but each one had a license (hence the tracking part again)

unlicensed stores thru cubecart site

licensed you can do (if Al agree's)

Guest Brivtech

Your last paragraph is precisely what I was talking about Brivtech. That was my understanding of what he was asking (he also asked me privately).

I have a project which does exactly that sort of thing. I buy licenses from Brooky as needed, but I just duplicate my current install because I have tweaked the living daylights out of it. I have a customized backend with features added for my task. Brooky has seen it and approved so long as each copy is licensed. No problem to me. :)

Yes, we're creating a project along these same lines at the moment to launch in August - Each installation will be licensed, we've done this for 2 reasons: It helps support CubeCart, and it also gives our customers a customised shop without copyright notices.

It's good you mentioned this combined with licensing, and perhaps it's something that could benefit from further clarification in the licensing terms and conditions.

Precisely. I setup a store yesterday afternoon in about 10-15 minutes with all my mods already applied including all the database changes I made. I even setup a default DB schema that now I can import easily which has my admin already setup, shipping defaults, etc. Quick and easy. :D

All I need to do now is to get the additional license from Brooky and get the skin customized to match this client's existing site.

:)

Guest Brivtech

I'm assuming it's also allowed to provide an alternative download link - for the purposes of a third party using the software for support or testing purposes ONLY?

Like if I have a project that a third party is helping with, and I provide them with a copy of CubeCart directly instead of linking to cubecart.com (As my copy may have modifications within the code that also need to be included)?

No, you cannot provide download links to CubeCart from what I've seen. If so, you'd see copies of CC available with lots of free mods already installed.

What I'm doing is a complete, custom, hosted solution for a particular niche market. They don't know anything about what I setup, mods I have installed, etc. They don't care. They just want to know that it works and that they can make money with it. :huh:

Guest Brivtech

No, you cannot provide download links to CubeCart from what I've seen. If so, you'd see copies of CC available with lots of free mods already installed.

What I'm doing is a complete, custom, hosted solution for a particular niche market. They don't know anything about what I setup, mods I have installed, etc. They don't care. They just want to know that it works and that they can make money with it. :huh:

No no no, that's not what I meant - If you were for example using a third party developer for creating a MOD, would it be unacceptable to provide them with a copy of CuebCart?...

..."for the purposes of a third party using the software for support or testing purposes ONLY?"

Within a private group - I don't mean offer it out publically and hope someone comes along to review your prioject for making a MOD.