best tool for making MP3s?

jerseyjoe

I'm building a CC store to sell my son's CDs and MP3s. Some of you CCers in Australia may know him (John Harkins). He's been there 12 years and is pretty well known in jazz circles. His latest CD is getting serious airplay down there.

After years of begging him to allow me to build a web site for him, he's given the OK.

I know zip about making MP3s from CDs. I do not own an MP3 player. I can only guess at how to download them.

I have Roxio and Windows Media Player on my computer. I rarely use them. A fast Google search on "CD to MP3" yields a lot of results, many of which are touted as free and in some unexplained way, better than all the others.

Can anyone suggest which program I should use and why one might be preferable?

Guest groovejuice

Hi Joe,

I use a suite called Audio Maestro which has all the tools I need for conversion and optimization of audio files, but there are many such apps available. It's important to be able to convert from CD to mp3, but also to specify the compression of the mp3s. For example, I assume that you want high quality downloads for paying customers. With mp3s, like other file formats, the greater the quality, the larger the file size. I like to use 192kbps Stereo, but one can go higher or lower depending on the music. For jazz, definitely in the high range. Also you want the option of VBR or CBR (variable or constant bitrate). I use both for different projects depending on the use.

If you also want audio samples on the website for streaming, use low quality mp3s and if possible, a flash driven player (like wimpy) which has some groovy skins and makes downloading these files tougher. Hope this helps.

Apparently his new Cd is being well received down there. He did not ask for a web site until last week, after the CD started being played on air. The DJs are mentioning the URL (harkinsmusic.com) and all I have up is a temp page. Aussies are even more outspoken than Yanks, so I was not shocked to get an email this morning saying, "take yer finger out" and get the site working.

I'm going to be busy enough setting up the store itself so I don't have time for leaning how to do the MP3s.

Sounds like you have the right tools and experience. What would you charge to create the appropriate files from a CD? Send me a PM with a price?

Apparently his new Cd is being well received down there. He did not ask for a web site until last week, after the CD started being played on air. The DJs are mentioning the URL (harkinsmusic.com) and all I have up is a temp page. Aussies are even more outspoken than Yanks, so I was not shocked to get an email this morning saying, "take yer finger out" and get the site working.

I'm going to be busy enough setting up the store itself so I don't have time for leaning how to do the MP3s.

Sounds like you have the right tools and experience. What would you charge to create the appropriate files from a CD? Send me a PM with a price?

Hmm, I guess GroooveJuice is off somewhere for a while.

Well, if you get my message, please quote me a price.

If anyone else has the tools, ability and expereince to do this, I'd be glad to hear from you.