can anyone help me get passed step 4 of the setup?

Guest bently

Guest bently

Hi can anyone help me get passed step 4 of the setup? ... not got much hair left ..lol

Stuck on #4 of the set up wont let me pass this .. the CHMOD settings are correct

Just cant get passed this part of the setup..

File / Folder Current Permission Required Permission

includes/global.inc.php 0644 0644

on a linux/unix server .. shared hosting ..

where am I going wrong?

Thanks

Guest bently

Thanks tried that but still no go shows the settings as correct ... but when I click the Try Again button .. nothing .. wont go to next step...

The config file could not be written.

is what Im getting

Guest bently

Thanks I am now up and running

but I'm sure Ill be back :D

The question is WHO, reason is that some providers do have various problems :(

Guest Mondo Music Corp Limited

Hi there.

I am having the same problem with Step 4.

How did u sort it out?

Is is something to do with the host prov :( ider?

Guest bently

Not sure if my problem is the same but in my cpanel I had created a database and a user but had not conected the 2... duh...

also had the wrong password in the first part of the setup (step 3) I had my main password instead of the one created in the second part of step 3

hope that helps

looking forward to getting in and playing now :D

Hi there.

I am having the same problem with Step 4.

How did u sort it out?

Is is something to do with the host prov :( ider?

Guest UrbanPeddler

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem, I can not get past step 4... UGH!!! It's irritating!!

I don't know where I've gone wwrong.

The company that I host my website with is secureserver.net ANd I used the FTP files that I was provided with there to upload my files... I figured it would be easier and more convenient.

I've used all the advise listed already and still nothing.

I just really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm an extreme newbie... and a lot of HTML jargon is very new and I still don't understand a lot. But I'm trying.

ANy advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Lori

Guest UrbanPeddler

No I haven't solved the problem yet.

You said that I need to change the CHMOD file or something like that... but how do I do that???

I've used the FTP file that came with my web hosting (secureserver.net).

Kind of wondering, if that's where I gone wrong????

-Lori

• 3 weeks later...
Guest skelly77

You said that I need to change the CHMOD file or something like that... but how do I do that???

-Lori

Hi Lori,

I don't know whether you got past this step, but I thought I would weigh in. I ran into the same problem running on Microsoft platform. With Microsoft you do not need to change the permissions so I ruled that out. I contacted my host providor and told her that I could not access the control file (which is a PHP file) and was told that they only offer PHP on Linux. She walked me through canceling my Microsoft account and opening up a Linux account which includes PHP. I will do a reinstall and change the file permissions and hopefully be up an running.

Cheers,

Scot

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem, I can not get past step 4... UGH!!! It's irritating!!

I don't know where I've gone wwrong.

One of the biggest problems in diagnosing a problem is that you have to provide meaningful information. I can understand that if this is your first time asking for help in a forum, you probably don't yet know what we need from you in order to help you. It's not enough to tell us only that you can't get past step 4.

There could be a number of reasons, but each has a symptom or a flag or something that reveals the cause of the problem. The cure follows from that . . . and I can assure you, more than one of us in these forums will recognize it and tell you how to deal with it.

So far, you haven't told us what the system is telling you when you try to get past step four. Help us *see* what you are seeing.

Are you getting an error message? What, exactly, word for word, does that error message say?

If you are not getting an error message, tell us exactly what you have done, again in explicit detail, step-by-step, before you got to the step you can't get past.

We'll do our best to help you, but we need your help to do that.

-Lori

CMODing files is not the mysterious thing it appears to be. The word "chmod" is geek shorthand for "change mode." It means, once the CC files are up on the server, and you go to

www.yourdomain.xxx/install

The step by step installation process that appears will tell you which files or folders need to have their mode changed.

It is done using one of the tools built into any worthwhile FTP program. Since the location of the tool and its appearance may vary, I can only tell you how it works in the FTP program I use.

1) have the FTP program open and connected to the server so you can see the list of CC files that are on the server.

2) take note of the name of a file that needs to have CHMOD. The code prior to CHMOD usually is something like 644 (some systems will report it in four digits as 0644).

3) go to that folder or file on the server and right-click on it. Usually a drop down menu will open. Usually, at the foot of the menu you'll see Properties.

4) left click on Properties and a dialog box will open. You will see that value 644 in one of the fields. Edit it to 777, which means that means that now the file can be written to as you create the store. Save the change.

5) repeat that process for each file or folder in the CC installation system that the system =says msut be CHMODed.

If the FTP program you have doesn't allow the above, just ask in this thread for an alternative.

When you have completed doing a CHMOD of all of the files that need it, go back to the CC installation steps and click on "try again." The system will confirm that the required CHMODs have been done - and you will be cleared to the next step in installation.

Given that you are new to this stuff, which all us of were at one time, the process of installing a store seems highly complicated and dauntingly impossible.

Trust me. It's not. The fact that you've come this far says you can do all of it.

We'll help ypou thriugh any step where you get stuck. Just open a new thread for each isue so this one does wander off into other issue and therefore become less relevant if others are using search.

Keep going and best of luck to you!

Guest UrbanPeddler

Hi Scot,

Same as you, I had to switch over to a Linux server and that solved the problem!

It would be nice if they give that kind of heads up prior to downloading.

Once you reinstall, everything should work fine.

-Lori